• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SDR-1000

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Any other SDR-1000 Flex users out there ?? I have one on the way I made a trade for, and I am really looking forward to getting it on the air !

pappy.gif
Until someone pipes in...FlexRadio SDR-1000 - Eham: Average Rating: 4.9/5

Well my SDR-1000 is here and sitting on the desk. I have everything but the parallel port needed to run the radio. Hopefully the PCI Express Parallel card I ordered will arrive tomorrow. I already made up the Amp cable and have the sound card and all the wires connected. I even picked up a Preamp to run my PR781 through the sound card.

I had an SDR-1000 for a couple of years. Now I have the Flex-3000. Nice rigs.

I'm curious how the latest software works for CW on yours. Up til V1.18 the CW worked fine, but after the new GUI (pretty betty) it pretty much sucked unless you had a very fast computer. They have completely rewritten the CW portion of PwrSDR and I'll have to say it works fantastic on my 7-8 eight year old computer now.

Really cant say on the CW, as I have a pretty powerful computer and never see much above 20% CPU usage. I am running the Ver 2.0.22 version and so far so good.

I did have some problems with the parallel working, had to change to Windows 7 32 bit from 64 bit and install the earlier 1.18 software first, then everything fell into place.

I will be upgrading the Delta 44 Sound card for a Edirol FA-66 this week.

Well made all kinds of changes to the set up.
I now have the Edirol FA66 sound card and it made a world of difference on what you can see. I am starting to dabble in the black art of eSSB and having alot of fun learning about all the audio stuff.
I could use some help with the Behringer DEQ-2496, this is an awesome piece of gear but a bit overwhelming for a Noob like myself. I think I have a decent base set up but I know I am leaving alot of the table.

Set up is as follows

Mic: AKG Perception 220 Condenser Mic
Behringer Tube UltraGain MIC200 ( soon to be replaced with the MIC2200 )
Behringer UltraCurve DEQ-2496

And that all feeds the SDR-1000 with FA66 Sound card.

I had to go back to version 1.18.6 software as the 2.0 stuff is too buggy for my liking.

Would love to get some audio reports and possibly some help with the DEQ-2496, this stuff is really addicting and is making me LEARN !

Craig
W1MSG

Mic is a nice choice.
Definitely get the Behringer 2200; I use one too. Best bang-fer-buck - IMO.

I have a DEQ2496 too...
As far as the DEQ unit, just start using the parametric EQ function first. The learning curve for parametric EQ's isn't that hard; Google is your friend here. Graphic EQ's - as opposed to parametric EQ's - can be used. But they can pull unwanted/adjacent audio freq's out of phase. Studios don't use graphic EQ's; they use parametrics for that reason.

You can split the channels into two separate units in the DEQ; don't run it in mono. This way, you can use the parametric EQ from one channel and then run the output back into the second channel input for using it for just compression. I would set up the compressor as a 'limiter'. Those 'limiter' settings can be found on Google. Limiter settings are fairly generic and are a fair starting point.

Watch the output gain in each part of the audio chain - and make sure that you keep your wiring in a balanced configuration. As this helps keeps out stray RF. Get some snap-on type ferrite beads and put one on each cable in the entire audio chain. This will really clean it all up and is highly recommended to do - if done correctly. Keep the lengths between the rack gear as short as possible - about 3 ft each is fine. Use Canare or Mogami cabling for best results because the shielding is better; I use Mogami. Belden is OK too; just not high-end studio grade . . .

That is, if you really want to get your eSSB groove on . . .

Last edited:
"Question: I want to use this as a 2-channel device instead of stereo... can this be done?

Answer: Yes. You can select DUAL MONO operation instead of STEREO LINK operation:

-press the UTILITY key to display Page 1 of 2
-scroll down to the second parameter - "CHANNEL MODE"
-using the large jog wheel, select "DUAL MONO" operation
-press the SOFT KEY B to accept DUAL MONO operation

The unit will now function as as a 2-channel mono device as opposed to "stereo"."

That explains what I first said.
Need to clarify my previous post further.

Since it becomes TWO separate units w/o any internal linking; you run each one using different functions. Let one channel be the parametric EQ; and the other a compressor set to limiter type settings.

Mic preamp line out into the DEQ. Take the output of one of the channels ("Line Out") and bring it into the Line Input of the other channel. Line out of the DEQ and into the radio.

Mic
Mic Preamp
DEQ 1st channel - Parametric EQ
DEQ 2nd channel - Compressor/Limiter.

Attachments

• Behringer ULTRA CURVE PRO 2496.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I did have an issue with my new DEQ-2496 where it started powering down and back on again on its own. A friend told me to put electrical tape on the bottom of the main pc board, which I did and no more problems. I guess the solder points were making contact with the case.

Finally finished the Audio Rack build up for the SDR-1000. It sounds awesome with the external audio gear, on eSSB is where you really hear it at 5k wide. Of course you have to be able to hear 5k wide to really appreciate it.

So here is the final rack build up.

Perception 220 Condenser Mic
MIC-2200
DEQ2496
EX-3200
SDP2024P
All of the rack gear is Behringer.

A picture is available on QRZ under my new call W1MSG

Craig

Thanks Guys, its been an obsession to say the least. I do have a desk top rack box on the way. That will make things a little neater, I'll post up a pic when its together.

Thanks again

Craig

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.