• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sears Road Talker 40 SSB base ?

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
I have searched everywhere I can think of and can find nothing so I will ask here. I have a Sears road talker 40 SSB base with a turner plus three B (black style) base mic. Only mods to radio are peak and tune. And sounds pretty good on air. It is model # 934.38310700 and I will try to post a pic here. My ? is if I where to sell it what's it worth? One person will tell me it's old and useless the next will say it's a excellent old radio and to keep it. What's your opinion? I was offered a RM Italy kl200p and a Pyramid PS14KX That are in like new condition for this and keep thinking about it. I know the amp is about $70 and the power supply is about another $70 so a $140 offer if the equipment was new. I thought about putting this on ebay with a $150 reserve?

Attachments

• Road talker.JPG
    Road talker.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 159

I agree.... Keep it. They are very nice radios.... look good and sound good! A guy that I had talked to regularly years ago had one and it always sounded fantastic. Problem with ebay is one day you might get a good buck for your radio and on another day... not nearly what you would like to get.

Also, the PS14KX is 12 amps continuous with a 14 amp surge rating. That will probably be starting to push the limits even with the KL-200P if there is a radio added into it. It is better to have a bit of headroom with a power supply. If you need 20A...go with 35A. If you need 35A, go with 50A.

The KL-200P is a very nice little amp and the 1446 RF transistor is pretty forgiving. Keep the input drive at about 1.5 to 2 watts on AM and 12 watts or so PEP on SSB and it'll work nicely. You will realistically see about 120 watts PEP on SSB and on AM a deadkey of about 60 to 70w with forward to about 120 or so. For what the KL-200P costs brand new, I would definitely buy a brand new one and possibly avoid some aggravation.

the amp is pretty lame so dont trade but i dont think the radio is worth keeping, same as a lot of the sharps and kraco models inside. low dollar budget cb's.

that model uses the SM5104 pll, it cannot do extra frequency's without a crystal switch or "expo kit".

Radio was traded without the mic. for the amp and power supply. I wired a cobra stock mic to it and rewired the turner to my DX949. I sold the amp to a coworker along with my old Cobra 29LTD and a Wilson 1000 mag mount for a new paint job on my Motorcycle (I bought all supplies he did the work). I am happy with the results and as long as I'm happy that is all that matters.:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.