• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

second best 5/8 base antennas

maybe im missunderstanding something .
chokes are for combating CMC's and baluns are for impedance matching . correct ?????

:D
Hey Booty, How many watermelons can your antenna handle? (y) PEP or RMS? :blink:

DONT BE LAUGHIONG AT MY WATERMELONS !!!!!
square-watermelon.jpg

ive found that two dozen water melons keeps my ess wubba ares from going up when skip is strong ;) .

Kirchoff? We have the usual choices over here. Kleenex's or those, except we call'em 'hand-kerfoffs'. Not to be confused with head-scarfs, main difference is in size, head-scarfs are larger most times. They can come in different colors and 'prints', a plain white one is considered more gentlemanly. A white one with lace is sort of 'tatty', or too gentlemanly, sort of. ... are we talking about the same thing??
- 'Doc

I love to pun-ish things, don't you?

aww comeon now doc,
a guy can't have any meaningfull view on current baluns without kirkhoff,

some people have a strange view of what "unballanced" coax is, the magnitude of currents flowing in the centre conductor and the inside of the outer shield or the third conductor the outside of the shield,

there are differences between the coaxial balun and trifilar wound current baluns besides the ones HiDef mentioned but if the coaxial type is correctly made for maximum choking impedance it should perform the same job even when the loads are not ballanced or a perfect match,

"i love to pun-ish things"

me? nope,
i like to kinda maybe sorta thingy be getting my learn on, i prefere to be analogous,
one day i hope to understand rf like smart folk, it will be a very LONG journey with stops on the way but at least i boarded the train;)

If

you

choke

the

current

off

the

outside

of

the

shield

you

have

a

1:1

BalUn

no

hocus

pocus

necessary.

Output

of

the coiled

coax

WILL

be

balanced.

It it were anything other than balanced there would have to be another current induced somewhere. We just defined the situation where there was not.

Try one sometime. I have.

Darn good thread, the opinions are great and the kirchoff Kleenex is the best(y)

Ugly Balun I agree is really mislabeled.

It is indeed a choke, the inner conductor does not electrically connect to the outer.

It is wound with frequency in mind, the number of turns and inner diameter size is relative to frequency desired to "choke" off any shield or coax skin radiation.

It does have characteristics of a balun, it does not do any impedance matching like a balun will, unless you consider a 1:1 balun which does not match any impedance.

So in my opinion, it is not a "balun", but it does act like a 1:1 balun, it does perform like a 1:1 balun per say.

So if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it has to be a chicken. :confused:

The watermelons are great.

"It it were anything other than balanced there would have to be another current induced somewhere. We just defined the situation where there was not."

No, that doesn't define coax as being a balanced feed line. It merely defines a feed line with no CMC's on it. The only similarity between coax and a balanced feed line is that it provides a path between source and load. If getting rid of those CMC's really does define a balanced feed line, you are going to have quite a few people much harder to convince of that fact than me. :)
- 'Doc

"It it were anything other than balanced there would have to be another current induced somewhere. We just defined the situation where there was not."

No, that doesn't define coax as being a balanced feed line. It merely defines a feed line with no CMC's on it. The only similarity between coax and a balanced feed line is that it provides a path between source and load. If getting rid of those CMC's really does define a balanced feed line, you are going to have quite a few people much harder to convince of that fact than me. :)
- 'Doc

It's OK Doc. I'm not running a class on AC theory:whistle:

Hams aren't expected to understand everything. It's only a hobby.

We can mysteriously create and destroy energy in the name of proving an ugly balun can't work.

Physics is a fake and ugly baluns are only used in hundreds of applications to throw the Russians off the trail : 0

Thanks Booty', now I understand the mix-up. There's a big difference about talking about the balanced 'condition' of a feed line and a balanced of unbalanced -type- of feed line.
- 'Doc

HiDef,
those first two comments I'll certainly agree with. The next two are either rhetorical, or an attempt at sarcasm, and I will accept them as such.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.