• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shortwave Radio Options.

Gasngo

Dec 31, 2023
Lake LBJ TX
Well like it says I have always wanted a decent unit to keep up with weather or what ever broadcasts I can pickup. I ran across another Realistic! DX 300 but the overall feeling across the web are not in favor not to mention years old and having to make internal repairs. So my ? Shortwave and what really is a shortwave verses and Ham receiver only or in somewhere in between. Ill ask a this also whats the difference. I have a general understanding but Im sure theres more to it. And yes I understand this is a general CB forum but Im open to moving this if needed.

Thanks Brad

I had a 300 and it worked well for me. There were/are a few modifications that I did, but I don't remember what they were. It was a pretty cool old radio/receiver.
I have a DX394 I like as well. Also a IC R75. I like them all. The 300 gives a retro feel that I liked.

Thanks for the input. Just learning as I go. The asking price verses real value are two different worlds today. I see a couple of hundred buck on fleabay but under a hundred in my case. Yet I read on a review that should come up for anyone if you can get one for a six pack and favor its a 5 star if you pay over X its a 1 star. Just taking it all in.

Thanks for the input. Just learning as I go. The asking price verses real value are two different worlds today. I see a couple of hundred buck on fleabay but under a hundred in my case. Yet I read on a review that should come up for anyone if you can get one for a six pack and favor its a 5 star if you pay over X its a 1 star. Just taking it all in.
I saw that review on eham...funny.
I enjoyed the one I had. It's a fun radio to play with. I only sold mine as a fellow I ran into wanted one, and I have other SW radios. The guy at Golden Radios seems to think they are good, of course he repairs them too.
But also I'm an older guy, and I like the older equipment. It seems to have more feel and personality, if that's a thing, to me in this digital world we're in now.

Best shortwave receivers I ever owned were a Kenwood R-1000 and a Yaesu FRG-7.
Those are both 1970's - 1980's vintage so if you do find one it may need to be recapped.
I also owned a Yaesu FRG-7700 and an 8800. Both total dogs with endless PLL issues...Avoid !

I love my Tecsun PL-880 portable. It does shortwave really well and as a bonus you get AM FM and LW as well. I got mine from Universal Radio, but I think they went out of business. Should be available elsewhere though........
Just my 2 cents worth.......

Not to hijack the thread or anything. I remember listening to BBC World Radio Service back in the 1980s at my fathers hunting camp in PA. This is going to be a blast from past. The SW radio was a generic Japanese manufactured combination 5 inch B&W TV, cassette AM/FM/SW radio, single mono speaker. What's the current SW broadcasters that popular to listen to today?

What's the current SW broadcasters that popular to listen to today?
There's hardly any SW broadcasters left ! Other than China Radio International and Cuba there really isn't anything much to listen to. I hear lots of other Asian stations in Asian languages. There are lots and lots of religious stations repeating the same shows over and over again. There are a couple of commercial U.S. stations playing burned out oldies from the 50's and 60's with crappy audio quality. Radio New Zealand is a good listen still. I miss the old days with Radio Moscow and others going strong !

Only really interesting thing is the pirate stations in the 6.9 MHz band that are often active in the late afternoon/early evening hours, especially on weekends.

If you're into utility stuff there's still quite a bit to hear, and you can always listen to hams talk about their prostate surgeries I guess.

Reactions: secret squirrel

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.