• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sick s-9

RugRat235

May 1, 2005
my s-9 seems to have lost some of it frequencies. i have checked that the jumpers for export bands are in place correctly and they are. thought tat was the problem but it wasn't. it goes up to about 27.905 then the last three or four settings on the band selector are all the same frequncy. anyone got an idea what has gone wrong? jumpers are at 1 and 4. i think something may have rattled loose but don't really know where to look. thanks for any help.

reprogram it :)

The Magnum S9 is programmed for the 10 Meter Amateur Band out of the box, and covers a range of 28.065 - 28.525 MHz.
The frequency range can be extended for Export Use in 8 Band segments each containing 40 Channels. These 8 bands can be programmed to any combination of Eight 40 channel blocks between 25.615 - 30.555 MHz. The radio can also be programmed to cover all frequencies in 10 KHz or 5 KHz steps
between 26.000 - 32.990 MHz. (See Programming Mode)
10 Meter Only Mode:
The default setting from the factory covers only 4 bands between 28.065 MHz - 28.525 MHz. The jumper
setting for this is JP1, JP2, JP3 = OFF and JP4 = ON.
Export Mode:
This mode is pre-set to 8 Bands between 25.615 MHz - 29.205 MHz. The jumper setting for this mode is
JP1 = ON JP2,JP3 = OFF JP4 = ON.
Programming Mode:
This feature allows the radio to be setup into 8 separate bands, each individually programmed to cover any 40 channel segments you choose between 25.165 - 30.555 MHz. For instance, if you wanted Bands A and B to be setup to cover 25.165 - 26.055 MHz, Band C to be the CB Band 26.965 - 27.405 MHz, then Bands D, E, and F to cover 10 Meters at 28.315 - 29.655 MHz, the “Programming Mode” can be used to set this up.
Disconnect the wires from the power source after programming the unit to insure that the CPU (Computer) will reset properly. Set the radio’s Band Selector to position A. Using 2 short bare wires, jump the pins of JP2
and JP4 (JP1 & JP3 = OFF) Notice that the Channel Display now indicates a letter A through L instead of the Channel number. Temporarily short the pins of JP1 on the Channel Board using another short wire. Notice that the Channel Display advances to the next Band Letter each time the pins of JP1 are shorted. Continue advancing the letters on the display until you see the desired band for Position A of the Band Selector. Move
the Band selector to position B, and again short the jumper pins of JP1 until you see your choice for Band B.
Repeat this for each of the 8 Band positions and when the last is done, move the Jumpers to this order to
Lock them into Memory. JP1 = ON JP2, JP3 = OFF JP4 = ON
This radio is also capable of covering the entire frequency range between 26.000 MHz - 32.990 MHz in
10 KHz steps or in 5 KHz steps (10 KHz Front Panel = OFF) JP1 = ON JP2 = OFF JP3 - ON JP4 = OFF

Note The VCO coil (behind channel board) may have to be re-adjusted for band coverage above 30 MHz
Transmit Power above 29.990 MHz is Not Guaranteed.
Programming Notes:
* Replace the Metal Cover on the Channel Board after programming to reduce receiver noise.
* The Channel Display Does Not Indicate Channels in the 10 KHz or 5 KHz Modes.
* Jumper JP4 sets 5 Digit (AM/FM Only) or 6 Digit (All Modes) Frequency Display.

i never programed it to start with. just set jumpers at 1 and 4 as stated above. i thought the programing was only to change the frequency positioning? anyhow i'll try it. thanks.

Do you have a warrenty on that S-9 ? I know for a fact that they are very good with repairing there stuff and fairly quick about it.

i have had it since they first came out. i'm sure the warranty is expired. anyhow i just tried reprogramming it and all the letters went into the band selector and frequenies work until power is removed then right back to 27.90 being the highest it will go.

monkeyed some and it seems it won't operate at all in 10 meter mode. all bands and frequencies are 27.90 guess its shit the bed on me.

don't belive so but all is working from 25.6 to 27.9 and is retained after removing power. just won't program above 27.9. it shows all 10 meter frequencies with 2 and 4 jumped(program mode) but once returning to 1 and 4 jumped(export mode)no 10 meter.

RugRat235 said:
i never programed it to start with. just set jumpers at 1 and 4 as stated above. i thought the programing was only to change the frequency positioning? anyhow i'll try it. thanks.

This is the best I can offer you on this Rat , Chris Holland at "The Radio Shop" in Ontario , California had his hands in on the design of the S-9 . He knows them like the back of his hand. You can call the shop or fax your problem (shop is 909-390-5056 or send a fax with a detailed problem that your having directed at him. Fax is 909-390-4418 , I wish I could give you a cost figure , but I honestly wouldn't have a clue there , but if anybody could fix it ? He could and more then likely better then when you first got it . The best of luck to you.

What Swich Kit said, is the BEST ADVICE YOU COULD HOPE FOR!!
The radio can't be too far gone for Chris to fix it! And it probably won't cost much beyond shipping.

Best advice I've every read!!!

As to trading it, you'll be sorry.

RugRat235 said:
my s-9 seems to have lost some of it frequencies. i have checked that the jumpers for export bands are in place correctly and they are. thought tat was the problem but it wasn't. it goes up to about 27.905 then the last three or four settings on the band selector are all the same frequncy. anyone got an idea what has gone wrong? jumpers are at 1 and 4. i think something may have rattled loose but don't really know where to look. thanks for any help.

did you convert this radio, by removing the 4 resistors on the bottom side of the board ? if you did check around them points for a cold solder or if it was soldered to a spot where a part was on the top section of the board it might have shaken loose..
sounds like the CPU ain't resetting...

BTW I sent in my magnum S9 with it converted and sitting on 27.1650(channel 17) because of a bad freq display and channel display....it cam back re-tuned,new finals and both the displays
fixed...they don't care if its converted or not..I even told sam it was jumped:p
all it cost was shipping, so add it up. new finals ,new displays,re-tuned all free but the cost of shipping and they payed shipping back to my door...No questions asked what so ever....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.