• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Signal Engineering

chris.s

Dec 4, 2005
Does anyone know if Signal engineering in California is around anymore,I would like to find some info on their thunder 8 antenna if possible.

Thanks
Chris.s

Yeah, they are just down the street from me - about 4 miles to my north. Drive by them every week . . .

Signal Engineering - The Evolution of High Performance CB Antennas!

Hey guys, I've called them off and on since the first of the year and they do not respond. I have heard the same story from others too. I understand that Tony let Larry, his engineer, go some time ago.

If what you want to know might be in the manual, let me know and I will check it out, I have a manual. It has no notes however, so I won't know anything except what the manual says.

These guys have some nice products out there forsure. Somewhere around here Ive got literature on a few of there itens aswell. Ill have to look around a bit and see iof I cant find it.

Does Signal Engineering offer a grounding switchbox with this antenna?

It appears it's a couple pairs of center-fed ½ wave dipoles with ¼ wave lengths of 75Ω coax to transform each set to about a pair of 100Ω in parallel at the 1:1 balun for a 50Ω final impedance.

What I don't get is how they claim 35dB side rejection unless each set is a ½ wave apart. Being less, such as maybe a ¼ wave apart, should only drop the side performance about 6-10dB, unless there's a switchbox present which grounds the unused set making them side reflectors...?

Anyone shed some
icon3.gif
?

Hey Robb, I'm trying to help a friend rebuild his Lightning 6, if you could ask them what the correct distance the copper match is supposed to be away from the boom, (I'm guessing 2") and typically how far is it down the copper to tune 27.2 on one of their older Quads from about 1995, I'd sure appreciate it!

Hey Robb, I'm trying to help a friend rebuild his Lightning 6, if you could ask them what the correct distance the copper match is supposed to be away from the boom, (I'm guessing 2") and typically how far is it down the copper to tune 27.2 on one of their older Quads from about 1995, I'd sure appreciate it!

007, I'm afraid that if Robb finds they or Tony are still there...that he's as tight lipped about his product specs as Nancy Pelosi is about the Health Care debacle that she, obama, and reid pushed thru with the help of the "As* H*les" in congress. It's a management style thing.

What happened to the insulating hardware that sets the distance to the boom for the L6 tuner on your buddies L6? There should be several of these on the antenna for both polarities.

I think all the parts for the tuning stubs need to be right on the money in order to tune right and the manual says to tilt the two insulators at both ends of these brass stubs...so the wire is exactly 2" from the boom. It also gives exact dimensions for the insulators along the boom, and the coax pigtail is specified to be made 2.5" long for each tail. I think all these dimensions are likely critical to tune.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.