• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

silly question from a newbie

colt45

Mar 18, 2011
I am upgrading my rv radio setup {cb} and am trying to install a 102 whip and when this is done and I move up to a 10 meter radio can I just listen in on recieve with this antenna and does it have to have a tuner on it to recieve, I know to transmitt it needs a tuner ?correct? I am overcoming groundplane issues and hope to have this whip on a large side mirror with it layed back on a hook for mobile.

pappy.gif
Just like Wire Weasel said - listening (with a high SWR) won't affect your radio. The only problem is your reception will not be as good as it would with a low SWR. However, if you transmit - a high SWR can cause problems - a portion of the (depends on how high your SWR is) output "power" will bounce right back into your CB and possible damage some circuits (if they aren't protected from overload). Now, chances are - you may not need a tuner once your check the SWR's.

Leave the spring off. Think you will be ok on 10 and 11 meter. I don't use 11 meter much, but find I have a good SWR on both bands.
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.