1. Marconi is the winner of the December WDX CB Club DX Contest! Please Congratulate him here!

Silver Eagle?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by hammer0630, Jan 22, 2012.

1. hammer0630

hammer0630 Active Member

I am waiting for my delivery on a D-104. My question is this mic has a black base (low gloss or satin) with a chrome volume knob on the TOP of the BASE of it. The volume knob really looks like it was made that way. The volume knob seems to be located toward the back side of the mic on top just to the right of the choker. The rest of the mic is completely chrome with the Silver Eagle on the back. It has both types of key down levers both chrome. Did Astatic ever produce this kind of mic or has this been pieced together? They claim it is original.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

2. RatsoW8

RatsoW8 Supporting Member

Post a picture. I have one of each model made and have never seen a D-104 with a volume control on the base. I'd say its a home made job.

3. jon666

jon666 Active Member

lol

no not original. they just moved the control to the top of the mic.
    they never made one like that.

4. hammer0630

hammer0630 Active Member

I am expecting it Mon. or Tues.

5. hammer0630

hammer0630 Active Member

Besides the volume control does the mic itself seem original? And would this be considered a Silver Eagle?

6. GnG8d

GnG8d Well-Known Member

The S/E didn't have a black base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Wrench

Wrench Member

Chinese knock-off?
    Look for "Made in China" everywhere on the mic you can, maybe behind the battery.
    All D104 Eagles had chrome bases, in fact the whole thing was chrome. None of them had an outside volume control.
    Sort of why they were call "Silver."

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. Robb

Robb Yup

If I recall this correctly, there are just two basic versions of the D-104 lollipop mic.
    The TUG-8 and the TUP-9 stands.

The TUG-8 just has the chicken-choker push-to-talk switch. Some of the older TUG-8 mics don't have a built-in preamp and are high impedance mics. The most common TUG-8 mics have the same mic element as the Silver Eagle - except for the older TUG-8 mics. Their element is a high impedance element and that mic was designed for tube radios of the 1960's and early 70's.

The TUP-9 has the chicken-choker AND a bar on the base of the mic for push-to-talk operation. There is no difference between a black base TUP-9 and a Silver Eagle - other than the chrome and the Eagle emblem. They both use the very same mic element and preamp too. Same is true for the Gold Eagle I think.

Now, the Night Eagle is a TUP-9 stand/mic element but uses a different preamp and has a factory installed roger beep too.

They also made a ceramic element for the D-104 mic that looked and sounded different that the stock crystal element. I fergits the model number of that mic element ATT. It was used mostly for single side band (SSB) use. TO my ear, there isn't too much difference between the way either of them sound on SSB.

Any TUG-8 mic that has a volume knob on the top of the mic has been altered. Prolly just a TUG-8 stand and the mic gain knob has been put on the outside of the mic for ease of adjustment.

TUP-9 Stand:

[​IMG]

TUG-8 Stand:

[​IMG]

9. mrgumby

mrgumby W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

one of these with a silver eagle head

Attached Files:

10. Slim

Slim Active Member

Wasnt that black version called the "special edition" or something along those lines? Been so long I cant recall for sure :cool: I have a few of those myself.

11. RatsoW8

RatsoW8 Supporting Member

It's called a "custom". I have one with the original Astatic label on it.

1 person likes this.