• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio Pl5000

Charlie337

Nov 13, 2014
Noticed my swr on 10m slowly climbing out of no where the other day..Running an ft 857d at 100w never did get an swr alarm from the radio but decided to put an external meter on and it was around 4:1 not good. Checked all the fittings, checked the coax, nothing made sure I still had a good ground (it's a through hole roof mount) that was good...I'm thinking maybe water and a coil failure..any thoughts? Tried cleaning it out and no dice.
2015-01-20 21.43.06.jpg

It's not as though there are a kot of parts in this antenna. There is a whip, a coil, the casting that contains it all, and the coax/connector.. Divide and conquer. Corrosion is the most likely suspect - IMO . . .

charlie,
have you checked the bottom coil or just the one in the pic?
its shunt fed dc grounded so you should find a coil in the lower part,

look underneath there are 4 small screws that strip threads if you keep hitting trees or bridges,

check for continuity between the joint and the metal where the srews are, and between the metal and center pin,

good luck

I ended up throwing it out but I think I figured it to using a different whip than the one it came with (was using a shorter Wilson whip I cut down for 28.400..but the base of the antenna that came with the sirio is maybe a 32nd thicker at the base than the Wilson and therefore the rubber fitting did not seal it around the whip letting water in after a few days of rain..at least in theory it sounds good..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio