• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio SY27-4 vs Maco 104C

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
Was looking to buy a new Maco 4 element horizontal beam for ~$200, when I noticed that Sirio makes one for ~$150.

Has anyone had both or either antenna? Would be very curious to find out if the quality of the Sirio was comparable to the Maco. Is the Maco worth the extra $50?

Is the Sirio built a lttle flimsy? Or is the Maco a little over-priced?

All comments welcome . . .

Maco M-104C - Palco Electronics

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Copper Electronics has the Sirio beam for the lowest price @$139 & $30 shipping. Which is about $100 less than the Maco beam when shipped. The difference is in the beam length; which is pivotal when adjusting for a narrower beam width with the "Yagi Optimzer" program.

I want to be able to get the narrowest beam width as well as the best side/rear rejection. Probably tune it for ch 30 CB at the lowest point and above to the 27.8mhz.

Robb:

for 4 element get the maco,not bashing sirio's,I have my sirio SY-4 for over 4 years and works good,but I feel the maco gamma works better.

My 2 pesos
Tecnicoloco

Just a thought...Flimsy isnt always a bad thing.... a large branch with snow on it might colapse under pressure...a tiny one... might just "sweep" through the pressure and return to its natural position.
Perhaps a google search under "bend or broken elements Sirio (or Maco) might give an indea if it is an issue.

For me personal i the quality is a bit down to what i would like to see...but for the price/performance one shouldnt complain i think..
i cant say much about the m104...i never crossed one so far.

From paper...
What i do like about the maco.... it seems to be easy to change element spacings and lenghts... so it isnt hard to "optimize" the antenna to your needs.
That is the biggest plus !

hmmm,
Not sure what sizes they use these days...but some years ago...element diamter of the sirio compared to the maco seems rather similair.

The boom is another story...Maco in favour for sure.
overall...

For some it is just a few bucks, for others a hugh amount...but I would go for the maco and if specifications is still the same from "years" ago...do a bit of optimizing and with no doubt...you should have years of fun lying ahead.

Kind regards,
H>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.