• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio Top one,starduster, radiates from whip ?

i don't see any magic in the top one, it looks like a hat loaded 1/2wave dipole,
it would have a advantage in height of current maxima vs other antennas at the same tip height like the astroplane has.

Bob I think you built a version of the top one once, using parts from a vector. Did you ever use it to see if it worked?

I see the advantage you mention, but IMO that advantage only gets the NTO closer to being on par with other CB verticals I have...when it is mounted at or near the same tip height. I believe both the AstroPlane and the NTO are top loaded 1/2 wave radiators.

Last edited:
yes me and mm tried it using tornado & vector parts,
we only had 90" radials so best tuning was up at the top of 10mtrs.

yes me and mm tried it using tornado & vector parts,
we only had 90" radials so best tuning was up at the top of 10mtrs.

I remember when I was testing my Sigma4 once, and I questioned you about your Vector being near 30'-31' feet long. I suggested your antenna should show a really low frequency match being so long and you told me that the gamma took care of that problem, which made sense. I not sure about my testing now, but I tried adjusting the gamma on my Sigma4, but that gamma is really small, and maybe it doesn't have the range of adjustment to handle making the radiator much longer than the stock length and maintain resonance in the CB range. Does this make sense?

So, did y'all ever try to adjust the gamma on this make-shift New Top One to try and get it down in frequency closer to 27 MHz?

we tried multiple combinations of monopoles with 3 & 4 radial sleeves eddie, they all tuned ok at whatever length we used up to about 32ft using nothing but a vswr meter and observing signal strength, bear in mind they were close to the ground,

once i realised my old style vector radials were much shorter than the top-one radials i lost interest,
i think i cut the radials up to make a vector for 6mtrs, the hat is in the garrage.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.