• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Sirtel 2016 repair

sp5it

Master of puppets
Jul 9, 2009
Poland
www.qrz.com
Hi.
Finally, after 30 years of good service my 2016 gave up.
Looks easy to repair, but it lack 5mm to fix it.
Tried rubber gloves, twisting etc. No go.
Anyone had it before? Any ideas how to put coil end to it's place?
sirtel.jpg
Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Crawdad

Wow that antenna has served you very well Mike. For some reason, you being the intelligent fella you are I feel as if this was a trick question for us. I agree with the replies though.

I have to say that coil was under some tension for all of those years.

Reactions: Crawdad
If you are not running big power, you can try soldering a piece of copper, if not, you can buy solid bare copper and make a new coil. In order to do that, you must determine the gauge of the broken one.

Here is a link to buy it. Some sell it by the foot, other by the roll.

Reactions: Eldorado828
For some reason, you being the intelligent fella you are I feel as if this was a trick question for us.
I agree 828. I'm betting Mike's already completed an expert repair/replacement. You don't have the station Mike has without some smarts. I hope to work him on 10m one of these days.

Reactions: Eldorado828
The black plastic may be getting hot and expanding just a little or chemically degrading in a way that changed its physical dimenisons permanently. I fear that forcing it back in place by any means will result in a failure in the near future. Bridging it may be the longer-term solution. I doubt a quarter inch of extra coil will make a huge difference in tuning.

Reactions: midnight special

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.