• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Slinky Antennas

They "work", but they're made out of steel, which is a relatively poor conductor. A few years ago, they were made of plastic, which would be even WORSE :twisted: .

I wouldn't put one outdoors, where it would sway in the wind, getting longer...then shorter...then longer...then a LOT longer when a bird lands on it. All the while your resonant frequency is getting lower...then higher...then lower...then a LOT lower...you get the picture. Maybe for a camping trip, or as an emergency antenna, but I wouldn't recommend it for serious use.

Remember the old commercial: "It's Slinky! It's Slinky! For fun it's a wonderful toy!" Operative word here is "toy".

No No No! Forget about those slinkys, plastic and otherwise. Instead, take your ARRL Handbook, and rip out all those pages dealing with RF exposure limits and so forth, then simply attach the antenna feed line to your bed springs and pump in as much power as you possibly can.

Paris - back in '57-'58, hams were doing just that: using bed springs (indoors) and other unlikely things for antennas -- and working some good DX.

One music student loaded a folding music stand and worked all continents using only this and about 100 watts INput. QST did a "Stray" regarding this "Clef Dweller" antenna.

Beetle said:
Paris - back in '57-'58, hams were doing just that: using bed springs (indoors) and other unlikely things for antennas -- and working some good DX.

One music student loaded a folding music stand and worked all continents using only this and about 100 watts INput. QST did a "Stray" regarding this "Clef Dweller" antenna.

I have loaded a bed spring and the front screen door also in me time lol it was fun and they didnt talk to bad either

brought back some good ole memory's there beetle

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.