• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Small frame mobile

Brake Weight

Jan 31, 2012
Southern Miss
I'm looking for a small frame mobile capable of SSB. I've got a Galaxy 949 but it drifts on the ssb bad and is huge in my Tacoma. I'm looking for the size of a 979 or Cobra 29 I can stuff in the dash with minimum cutting. 7.5" or narrower and 9" or less deep is what I'm shooting for to fit.

I've come up with only the Galaxy 979 and the Mirage MX36HP, both of which will need bench time and more money. Not many reviews for the Mirage and the 979 cons were the ssb drift.

Am I missing any others this small with ssb?

CBRadioMagazine.com - Magnum 257HP 10 Meter AM/FM/SSB Export Review

P5130051%20(Small).JPG

The regular 257's, non HP models, are great rigs. Rock steady on SSB and a nice clean sound on all modes. Might also wait for the Uniden Bearcat 980 to hit the market and see how it is. The Galaxy 979 doesn't have as much of a drift problem from what I've seen as the 949 or 959 models. When it comes to size though, my vote is for the 257.

Don't think I would want to cut the dash board up for a permanent mounting - for any radio - IMO.

Better to keep it setup so that you can quickly remove it and pop in the trunk or somewhere out of sight . . .

Last edited:
At first I was wanting an HP export, then I started eliminating them due to size and bad reviews. Came back around to the regular CBs and then found an excoworker willing to part with a TS250. The 257 non HP may be a good option for me.

I got a blue faced 257 with a X-Force MF200 going into a Wilson 5000 hardmounted on my GMC pick-up. Barefoot I've talked to N. Ireland and Germany, but the MF200 just makes getting there easier.
I had a 979 in the truck but the XYL liked it more than me so its in her dually now. Good radios as long as you don't try to make them something they are not. I've talked ssb when its sitting about -15 c and the truck first started. Like I said above, short warm up then alls good on ssb.

i have a 257HP in dash in a '11 Ram...only had one problem ever, it would full key on pirate SSB after listening for traffic on 19am..turned off then back on and issue has never reoccured. IMO get a right angle antenna connector and watch your clearance for the amp/heat sink. Will def. need an external speaker as well. Have DX'd pretty much everywhere but the Pacific coastline. I had a pic at one time but it's gone awol.

found it
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25598532/Magnum257hp.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.