• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Small SSB radio?

I'd like it to sit flush. My car is a 6-speed and the stick isn't too far from the dash as it is. With my 980 in the 'Yota the mic plug is right where 1st gear is. I had to relearn how to hold the shifter so it wouldn't skin up my knuckles.

Can you bend the shifter back some? I've done that for other reasons. The Midland will be an adventure in finding a decent one, plus they suck. Maybe you can find a used Alinco DX-70 with remote mounting kit. Some report NB issues though. I've had a few over the years, but never used one mobile.

IDK, good luck with whatever you rig up in there.

Ok so there has been some great advice in regards to your DIN install location. Even with aftermarket stereos it requires some messaging/imagination to make it work. Be flexible and creative. What is interfering with your install in the dash, can interference be relocated/modified (i.e. wiring looms, bracketry, etc.? If its the coax connection that is stopping you, will a 90* adapter make the difference . Sometimes tying back wiring looms or trimming bracketry behind the dash can make all the difference. If its climate control duct work that is your battle, you may well be screwed sir. These are things I've come across in the past that could help and sometimes just looking and evaluating the circumstance is all that is needed to solve the problem. If need be invite a creative buddy over to look at what you have. Sometimes a second pair of eyes on the job can make all the difference. Just make sure it doesn't f**** up anything else before you start the job.

What kind of car is it that you're wanting to put the radio in?

~Cheers~

It's going in a MK4 VW Jetta.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366975452.217914.jpg

Here's the hole. I'll have to cut a hole into the side and stuff the stereo wiring into the dash before putting a CB in there. There's ductwork in the back. I may can get another inch of depth by cutting that piece off along the back with a guide hole for the factory double din.

5enydeny.jpg

depending on your skill set, you could remote the face of of a CB, and mount the box in a more convenient place.

Judging by all the crap you have on the passenger floorboard, you don't have someone riding with you most of the time. :laugh: Mount your radio on the passenger side of the console.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.