• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Snake oil or not ????

G-Golly Wally

WDX 719 SE Oklahoma
Nov 5, 2008
Southeastern Oklahoma
I know everyone has an opinion on this but I was just wondering if anyone thinks Lucas oil stabilizer is snake oil or actually worth using. I so far think it
it's
20240421_144041.jpg

worth using. So far I've put just over a 100k on my little Frontier since I've owned it, it had 110k on the truck when I bought it and I've used Lucas along with my oil every time I done an oil change. I can't honestly say it works but I can honestly say I don't think it hurts, so far I can't complain so I intend to keep using it. Just wanted some other opinions on this stuff. And on another note, ive been driving this truck several yrs in the Ohio, WV, PA area and have tried several lubricants on the undercarriage to help combat rust, the North East use some pretty harsh concoctions to help with snow and ice. So far I ve managed to keep the rust in check pretty well ,I do have some but I would consider it lightly rusted compared to some I've seen. This time I coated the undercarriage with 2-26 multi purpose lubricant, I read on the can it contains mineral oil so I thought why not. Just wondering what some of our Northern members think of this and have you ever used it?

I have seen many engines go 300,000+ with just regular oil changes and cheap oil that I don't think additives are ever needed with the exception of older cars that have flat tappet cams, then a zinc additive MAY help cam life.

The undercoating spray is a good idea in the rust belt, I use fluid film or wool wax on alll underbody seams before the first salt every year,, my 2001 explorer is still rust free.

I drive a class 8 truck daily as well as put about 630 miles weekly on my work commuter. All I can say is maintenance! The proper maintenence using good quality synthetic lubricants (mobile 1) and quality filters (wix). I don't use additives in the oil but I do use Lucas fuel treatment in the gas because of the ethanol.

I follow the suggested service schedule at the minimum and even extra on some things like transmission.

The altima gets 32 mpg highway and has just a tad over 200k miles running like a champ. I've replaced numerous parts like suspension or wheel bearings to name a few but as far as the engine goes it runs smooth.

The key to all of it is proper or sometimes over maintenence and they'll last a while.

Looks like you're doing all the good as well!

I have a stake body truck, a '93 F350 4x4 dually that I bought from up north about 20 years ago. It has a ton of rust on the frame when I got it, and I knew someday it would be done. Well that was last fall and the passenger side frame broke at the front spring hanger of the rear axle. Rust never sleeps, but you can slow it down.

I have not tried this, but sealing the rust with oil will keep the moisture out.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
I have a stake body truck, a '93 F350 4x4 dually that I bought from up north about 20 years ago. It has a ton of rust on the frame when I got it, and I knew someday it would be done. Well that was last fall and the passenger side frame broke at the front spring hanger of the rear axle. Rust never sleeps, but you can slow it down.

I have not tried this, but sealing the rust with oil will keep the moisture out.

I've tried something similar but it was PB blaster, some other rust preventative I had and Dawn. But Im definitely gonna try this concoction pre fall weather. Sweet project cars is pretty cool . Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen this particular video.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I have used castrol synthetic and Wix filters for years.
I add Marvel Mystery in the fuel tank couple times a year just to feel good.
Had several live well over 100000 with no major issues.
I agree performing regular maintenance and just being mechanically aware are half the battle.

Jeff

Last edited:
I keep regular maintenance up on all my vehicles. I was changing the oil every 3500 miles but driving to and from WV every month it seemed I was constantly changing oil, and it still looked brand new. I was told to change it every 10,000 miles since I drive so far. I started doing that about 7 months ago which means about every third trip the oil gets changed, 97% of my mileage is highway miles and the oil I'm changing still looks brand new. Hopefully that's a good sign, at least it makes me feel better about going 10k between oil changes.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I use MMO in my fuel occasionally, Ive herd of people adding MMO in their diesel fuel I haven't tried that yet but have intentions to when I get another jug of the stuff.
For years I used the Lucas fuel treatment in the big rig diesel but since the addition of exhaust after treatment (dpf exhaust system) the newer rigs don't like it. I'll get exhaust temp codes and dpf codes so I stopped using it all together on the rig. I'm not sure how the smaller diesels do in the pickup trucks but they now have dpf's too so I would expect the same.

As to the oil changes in the commuter, I service every 6k but some say I could go 10k on the synthetic. 6k seems to work well and still costs less than two 3k services if I was to use conventional. I guess the proof is in the pudding, it still puts!

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
For years I used the Lucas fuel treatment in the big rig diesel but since the addition of exhaust after treatment (dpf exhaust system) the newer rigs don't like it. I'll get exhaust temp codes and dpf codes so I stopped using it all together on the rig. I'm not sure how the smaller diesels do in the pickup trucks but they now have dpf's too so I would expect the same.

As to the oil changes in the commuter, I service every 6k but some say I could go 10k on the synthetic. 6k seems to work well and still costs less than two 3k services if I was to use conventional. I guess the proof is in the pudding, it still puts!
My 06 F250 doesn't use Def, im assuming that's what you're referring to. My forklift at work uses DEF it seems to cause a lot of problems. Ive noticed the DEF will crystallize where I sometimes spill it ( pretend you didn't read that) it looks like that couldn't be good to me.

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.