• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So I'd like a mobile CB, but I don't want no stinkin' antenna

mcnabb100

May 31, 2012
Hey guys, I'd like to have a CB in my car, but I really think a CB antenna would look silly on it.

This is what kind of car I drive, cept mine has prettier wheels and it's red.
63396756.jpg

Can you guys think of anything that would work for me?

I wish I could just put a dipole i n the trunk...

you could go this route...

Firestik AR1A - CB Antenna to AM/FM Splitter CB Radios, Stryker Radios, CB Radio Antennas and Accessories - Experienced CB Technicians at WalcottCB.com

so you're using the stereo antenna as a cb antenna.
plugs into the cb and stereo and the factory antenna plugs into it.
looks like for this one you will also need a pl259/uhf to motorola female plug adapter, to use since the antenna output is an so239, so the factory antenna will mate up.
or you could just cut the factory end off and solder on a pl259

I've never used one but a few people years back did and they seem to work fairly decent for local work.
no way would i try to run power on one.

you could go this route...

Firestik AR1A - CB Antenna to AM/FM Splitter CB Radios, Stryker Radios, CB Radio Antennas and Accessories - Experienced CB Technicians at WalcottCB.com

so you're using the stereo antenna as a cb antenna.
plugs into the cb and stereo and the factory antenna plugs into it.
looks like for this one you will also need a pl259/uhf to motorola female plug adapter, to use since the antenna output is an so239, so the factory antenna will mate up.
or you could just cut the factory end off and solder on a pl259

I've never used one but a few people years back did and they seem to work fairly decent for local work.
no way would i try to run power on one.
Cool i'll look into that. I'm not looking to run any power, I many want to listen to the trucks and talk to guys in my immediate area.

Last edited:
I don't think an antenna would look silly at all on your car. I'd go with a small mag mount on the trunk. Not the best place for an antenna, but for your needs it will work fine.

When shopping for a car always bring several antennas from small to large and see how they look. check alternator size and if there is room under the hood for 6 more. Can the car fit 6 Batteries and several amps and have room for cooling and ventilation.
I suggest trade in for Suburban....TODAY! now JUST DO IT !!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Amazon.com: TruckSpec Solarcon 8 Tunable CB Antenna Whip Magnet Mount/Cable 50 Watt Black Coated Whip - Solarcon A-108PM: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: TruckSpec 12.8 Magnet Mount Cellular Look CB Antenna Kit - TruckSpec TS-722: Electronics

Can't imagine either work as good as a lil wil, both are low power.

Probably ok for local convoy comm.

Cellular loo alike doesnt have an apparent way to tune for SWR.

Solarcon does and is pretuned but looks like it was hard to tune for some people.

I ordered the solarcon to play with it.

I had the cellular years ago.

There's one thing I don't like about the K40 57.75" base load antenna. It's hard to adjust the tilt to a perfect 90 degree angle so I left it with a little forward tilt.

Last edited:
Silly?

Ya' know, it's great that you're proud of your vehicle, but an antenna would look silly on that one? Really??

Slap a decent antenna on the trunk lid & enjoy your radio the way it was intended!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are any number of "inobtrusive" (how about that, I used a BIG word!) & high performance antennas on the market!

Geoff S.

the stero/cb antenna will work for close range.
another option is a handheld walkie talkie
either way i wouldnt expect more than 2-3 miles in open are
if your in or have alot of buildings around ya probaly will be in
the range of 1-2 miles.

Handheld CBs in a car are barely line of sight (can you say faraday cage?)

Antenna needs to be on the outside of the car.

In the case an alternative would be a bullhorn, cheaper than CB handheld with no external antenna and probably talks further.

Reactions: 3 people
Hey guys, I'd like to have a CB in my car, but I really think a CB antenna would look silly on it.

63396756.jpg

I made a mount the used the factory am/fm antenna hole . It worked very well with just about antenna including at predator 10k with a 27" shaft
a3atada3.jpg
ve8ebu5a.jpg
ga4agatu.jpg

63396756.jpg

Get out of radio if you can't handle an antenna . . . Get over it . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.