• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So what is there to listen to on shortwave these days? ...

k9roc

Feb 10, 2012
Back in the early 80s I would listen to Radio Moscow, the BBC, Voice of America, and a handful of other things on my cheap shortwave receivers.

I'm sure (assuming?) the shortwave world has changed quite a bit in 30 years.

What's good to listen to now? Anything off the beaten path? Pirate radio? What else?

Stuff like this fascinates me:
Inside the Russian Short Wave Radio Enigma | Magazine | Wired.com

I think I have a Sangean receiver I can get going again. ;-)

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

I finally got my childhood favorite SW receiver. A Realistic DX-160!
Saturday mornings I like to listen to Radio Havana. They talk about all the wonderful things going on in their wonderful wonderland. They also tell all of the horror filled news stories from the evil American Imperialists.

It cracks me up, but propaganda (no matter who's) is entertaining.

I finally got my childhood favorite SW receiver. A Realistic DX-160!
Saturday mornings I like to listen to Radio Havana. They talk about all the wonderful things going on in their wonderful wonderland. They also tell all of the horror filled news stories from the evil American Imperialists.

It cracks me up, but propaganda (no matter who's) is entertaining.

Is there a live feed online to listen ?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I used to like Arnie Coro's (CO2KK) amateur radio program DX'ers Unlimited.I'm not sure if it is still on but back then Radio Habana Cuba had a killer signal up the East Coast on 6000 KHz.

Reactions: TheRATT
Back in the 70s/80s I had a knightkit GCR.....it was a big clunky tube swr with a bunch of knobs...a real boat anchor....it worked good though.....used to listen primarily to the BBC/VOA/DW/RM/DDR lots of foreign music and whatever I tuned in that was interesting. :)

I used to like Arnie Coro's (CO2KK) amateur radio program DX'ers Unlimited.I'm not sure if it is still on but back then Radio Habana Cuba had a killer signal up the East Coast on 6000 KHz.

they are still there alive and well. i actually talked to Arnie Coro on 10 meters last summer. but yes ol'e radio cuba is still there doing there thing. funny thing about them is they exposed GITMO and it's problems about 2 months before any American news agencies said a thing. when i heard it from them first i just thought it wa more anti American stuff. they also were talking about the Black sites used by the CIA long before it hit the American press but i guese thats something they should be familiar with any way with king Catsro.

they are still there alive and well. i actually talked to Arnie Coro on 10 meters last summer. but yes ol'e radio cuba is still there doing there thing. funny thing about them is they exposed GITMO and it's problems about 2 months before any American news agencies said a thing. when i heard it from them first i just thought it wa more anti American stuff. they also were talking about the Black sites used by the CIA long before it hit the American press but i guese thats something they should be familiar with any way with king Catsro.

What frequency is radio Cubans on ?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Listen to Alex Jones fire up the masses.

Alex Jones does bring to light some true stuff, doing what i do here in washington dc i hear it first hand a lot of the stuff he talks about, the only thing sometimes with him the way he delivers his message makes him sound like a nut no matter how true it is. but most of the information he puts out is 100% true fact. i have heard it from the mouths of the creeps themselves. i try to listen to him nightly on 4840. he needs to change his message delivery a little to make him more credible.

I have listened to him on occasion.

He turned a friend of mine into a survivalist militant. Dude has gone off his rocker. I used to talk to him on 10 meters 'bout every night. That's all he wants to talk about now, conspiracy this and conspiracy that.

He monitors and documents jet contrails and stuff like that.

Short Wave, alive and well

Many Stations and broadcasts out there! And yes the bands have changes over the years.... Typically transmissions of ship to shore, most of them have gone to satellite phone and cell phone.
Lots of cuts of funding have seen several SW broadcasters go away, CBC will cease this July! :cry:
I am also what is called a utility listener, that is for commercial and SSB / CW. Also being a HAM i monitor all sorts of frequencies....
You need a good antenna.... I have both inside and out side long wires of 30 and 60 feet, both are horizontal and only about 10 feet above ground.
Here is a good site for Broadcast schedules....

Short-Wave Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH at 07:08GMT

73 Rod aka mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.