• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Soloarcon A-99

NB, that idea does not make sense to me. Considering the top element of the A99, an 11 meter antenna, is non-resonant, how could either the 102" whip or the 7' FS be use as replacements without some modification to their length...assuming they are both stock as designed and near resonant 11 meter radiators?

well theres a guy localy who swears his swr is low and hes running a a99 with a 7 foot firestick and he does seem to have similar performance to his neighbor on an inax2000. i also read several posts on different forums that claim the 102 whip helped. like i said i dont know since i didnt try it but there are people doing it that seem to have good luck with it

A99

First things First,
Fire-stick makes an antenna for a A99 they say helps make the A99 better,
don't know if it does because I have not used one! but what I do know is a A99 has a lot of gain if installed at 36' to the bottom an works well at that height. Back in the day when Big Sticks were popular, that antenna was fed from the center and by using a 8' Francis Amazer as the other half of the antenna, seemed to be more sensitive and maybe pulled in station a little better don't know for sure because I did not do any A/B testing on it, at the time I though it did. On a big stick which was a match vertical dipole antenna, was able to get it to perform louder by using RG8 R/S coax that was 66% shielded an cutting the coax a certain distance I would get the coax an antenna to radiate which made my signal louder on the other end, this intern brought some of my outgoing signal down to ground level and my signal got into TVs and phones big time but I got out better. A lot of mobile CB antenna are antenna system in it self. 18' of coax and 1/4 wave radiator on top of the car used as a reflector, an you CAN take that to the bank .............Oldtimer

i know someone who used a 7 foot firestick on his big stick and got improved performance. he lived in hilly terrain and barely got into town until he swiched to the firestick. i guess it made his angle higher and got him out oif his valley and into town better. but thats a center fed dipole and the a99 is a 1/2 wave bottom fed so their different designs. the a99 uses a inductive match and so adding extra length by using a 102 on top seems like it would make it more inductive and throw of the swr but they swear it helps performance. i wonder if its starting to make it get 5/8 gain by making it almost 21 feet tall

If you did add enough length to make an 'A99' a 5/8 wave, you'd have to redesign that matching device too. Which, basically means you got an 'Imaxx'. The two impedance matching devices in those two antennas are not the same at all. So, you can't turn an 'A99' into a 5/8 wave without a lot of work. Simply adding length won't do it.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
yea thats the thing. it seems it would be all screwed up but they work good and have a low swr so 'wtf is going on' is my position

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.