• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

spectrum 1600

i agree the spectrums look just like the old sirio and sirtell antennas, they work ok but fall apart at the first opportunity.

This is a horrible antenna, but locals use it with decent results. I'd run away .... FAST! :D

Mechanically it is a pile of junk. This antenna uses thin wall, corregated tubing. As long as you make a good electrical connection, you will be OK. But, those small gaps WILL let water and air in! These two elements WILL cause corrosion and oxidation. Its a ticking time bomb.

Electrically, it WILL burn out if you use too much power! They use PLASTIC instead of teflon or delrin. I've seen a melted coil section and it wasn't pretty. They also use multiple shortened radials to compensate for full length radials, and as we know, full size elements are ALWAYS better than shortened or loaded elements!

You will spend close to $80.00 for one, and have a $25.00 antenna for your efforts.

On the up side, it is a 5/8 antenna and a 5/8 is a 5/8 is a 5/8. Use it with low power, don't expect it to last long, and be willing to put up with the lossy matching section, and you'll do fine!

If you want the best, get the I-10K! If you can't afford the best, get the Maco V58.

This is a horrible antenna, but locals use it with decent results. I'd run away .... FAST! :D

Mechanically it is a pile of junk. This antenna uses thin wall, corregated tubing. As long as you make a good electrical connection, you will be OK. But, those small gaps WILL let water and air in! These two elements WILL cause corrosion and oxidation. Its a ticking time bomb.

Electrically, it WILL burn out if you use too much power! They use PLASTIC instead of teflon or delrin. I've seen a melted coil section and it wasn't pretty. They also use multiple shortened radials to compensate for full length radials, and as we know, full size elements are ALWAYS better than shortened or loaded elements!

You will spend close to $80.00 for one, and have a $25.00 antenna for your efforts.

On the up side, it is a 5/8 antenna and a 5/8 is a 5/8 is a 5/8. Use it with low power, don't expect it to last long, and be willing to put up with the lossy matching section, and you'll do fine!

If you want the best, get the I-10K! If you can't afford the best, get the Maco V58.

Aren't they only about 19' 6" tall and therefore not a full 5/8 like the I-10K which is ~23'?

I agree about the crappy tubing and screw-together radiator sections. You gotta split the tops and use an automotive type hose clamp instead of those crappy screws which ovalize their holes, back out, allow aluminum oxide build-up and eventually let loose sections telescope down inside itself.
If you do all that, plus use Deox to seal it at each section it should perform OK, for a while.

And the Sirio 2016? - Same-o, same-o from what I can tell.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.