• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Squelch and RF-Squelch

ke7vvt

May 15, 2009
What is the difference between the squelch knob accessible on the front of a radio and the "S" or "RF" squelch that is in the menu?

For example, the Yaesu FT-1900R has a squelch knob on the faceplate and an RF-squelch on menu item that goes from OFF to S9.

Thanks!

The knob on the front of the radio deals with audio. That 'RF squelch' deals with RF signal strength, about like the 'RF gain' control. Or maybe a 'bass-ackwards' ANL?
A typical squelch control 'turns off' the audio circuits sending stuff to the speaker. The 'RF squelch' would turn off the RF sections producing the signal which goes to the rest of the radio to produce that audio. A 'step back' in the chain of events? I can see where it might be an advantage for power saving, but not really anything else that I can think of off hand.
All that's a product of deduction, I have no experience with that 'RF squelch' thingy, know nothing about it, or it's reason for being used. I can see where it may be handy for use with somethig like Motorola's 'PL' encoding methods though.
That any help?
- 'Doc

Following is from my D710 manual.

"S-meter Squelch causes the squelch to open only when a signal with the same or greater strength than the S- meter setting is received. This function relieves you from constantly resetting the squelch when receiving weak stations that you have no interest in."

The front panel knob sets the S# when on and there is a dot that slides up and down the s-meter at the bottom of the display to show the threshold. In this case Kenwood calls it s-meter squelch and Yaesu calls it RF-squelch with a different control mechanism.

What is the difference between the squelch knob accessible on the front of a radio and the "S" or "RF" squelch that is in the menu?

For example, the Yaesu FT-1900R has a squelch knob on the faceplate and an RF-squelch on menu item that goes from OFF to S9.

Thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.