• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ssb handheld cb

There was a rumor that a new SSB handheld was coming out soon. Can't remember where I read it, maybe just wishful thinking.
Yes, there has been talks... We need a new SSB handheld! If you agree, please send Anytone (Qixiang) an email, and tell them that you want a new SSB handheld to be made. They are listening.

Last edited:
I have a number of the Mizuho SSB/CW handhelds (I have 40/20/12/15/10/6m versions. I have never seen the 27Mhz AM version before! That's very cool.

I also have a few of the Abrecht/Magnum/Cherokee/Dragon 12/11/10m SSB handheld rigs from across the different generations. The old ones work much better (SSB stability) then the new versions, but they are all good fun. My favorite radio of all time is my Dragon SS-201 (early version, pic below).

I should also add that there is some very good community work happening on re-designing the PA section of the Quansheng UV-K5 for DSB/CW use on 12/11/10m *with acceptably low spurious emissions*. While the performance is not as good as a proper SSB rig, it does work surprisingly well. I think we are going to be seeing a lot more in that UV-K5 hack space soon. The required PA modification info is just starting to circulate, showing 4-5W of acceptably clean output (not harmonics) on the 12/11/10m bands. Pretty cool stuff!

Attachments

• Dragon.png
    Dragon.png
    689.4 KB · Views: 5
There are guys out there that add higher capacity batteries or run dc adapters and a storage battery.
This is popular in the EU where guys go work portable often,they fabricate mounts like the one above and use long loaded telescopic whips.
You would have to drop $350 US or so to find one but the Albrecht radios do pop up in a search online from time to time, usually in the UK.
The old MX27 is a am handheld from back in the 11 ham band days.

Jeff
It was in 1958, when 11m was taken from the amateur band plan in the US. what country were you in when using the MX-27?

Reactions: ShadowDelaware
I had a pair of those when I was about 11 or 12 years old. On a good day it might have had about a 1/2 mile range. I remember spending my pocket money on batteries and having them last just a few hours, and that was it for radio fun for that week!
As I could barely afford to keep batteries in one of them, I let my friend have the other one at his house a few blocks away (he bought the batteries for that one). Occasionally we actually managed to make contact with them and thought that was the coolest thing ever LOL.......
Must be the terrain + WT wattage. I had a Trc-100 5w 6ch that got contacts in the 5-7 mile range, and the TRC-99 3w 3ch that got contacts in the 2-4 mile range. There was another one (can't remember the name) that, if I recall, was a 1w 3ch, and it only got me around the neighborhood.

Now I have RS, Lafayette, Midland, and a Cherokee 100 (am/ssb) but like most you see on eBay, only come with the slide-on adapter that goes to the cig. lighter jack. I remember going out on the front yard and talking skip with it. The other station didn't believe me when I told him what I was using. I'm trying to get my Son to bring down his Midland I got for him at Christmas a few years back to see if the AA battery pack will work on it as it appears to be the same size.

I have two Cherokee AH100s and I've talked to several worldwidedx members with it. Most folks I communicate with are surprised to learn that they were talking to a walkie talkie.

The AH100s are my "go to" CB radios that I take out on my boat, where I'll usually spend two or three nights out. I've set up both a 102" whip and a Shakespeare marine CB antenna to communicate locally and to kill some time shooting skip. Each antenna was able to talk skip all over the country with nothing but legal power.

A BNC to TNC adapter plug makes it possible for me to use a 4', center loaded Radio Shack walkie talkie antenna. I was at a sand bar in the lower Florida Keys with this set-up talking to a guy on the big island of Hawaii.

To add a little spice to the SSB walkie talkie discussion, I had a Radio Shack headset mic that I use with the AH100. It has just a little bit of amplification. I'm surprised at how good it sounds. But I also have an old Turner +3 base mic wired for it. I have to keep it very low, but it allows the walkie talkie to sound almighty.

I have heard the AH100 recorded and have been able to compare it wit the newer variants. I haven't compared schematics, but the audio on the (older) AH100 is much louder and clearer than what I have heard coming out of the newer versions (Albrecht, Magnum, Spitfire, etc.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.