• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSB Noise / Whining

Ringworm

Jun 29, 2015
Ok, newbie ssb question here.

Galaxy 95T, Wilson 1000 mag mount (no coiled coax) Antenna tuned to 11 meter. Mobile.

What is that whistling or whining sound when on ssb? It goes from a higher to lower pitch when using the clarifier, and it almost disrupts the rx, get's in the way of hearing what's going on. It doesn't happen all the time, but most of the time. Sometimes it's louder, and sometimes quiet and distant.

I did notice it'll come on, sometimes, when people on the other end are speaking.

Is it my tuning habits, something going on with the radio, normal?

Thanks your the help.

Last edited:

Sounds like you are picking up an AM signal while receiving on SSB. It is called heterodyning and is the result of two signals mixing together. In this case the two signals are the AM carrier of the station you are hearing and the carrier injection oscillator of the SSB radio you are using.Since SSB has no carrier the receiver must reinject a carrier in order to decode the audio. Next time you hear it switch to AM mode and see if you hear anyone clearly.

The anl/nb is turned on. I have switched the radio to AM while on SSB and listening to the "sound", AND hearing someone speaking: When switching to AM the "sound" and the people speaking (receive?) go away and don't seem to be on AM.

I'm going to try to record what's happening, post it on YouTube, and i'll post the link here.

First thing to do is disconnect the antenna. If the noise dose no go away, it is coming from your car. Might alternator whine.
Rich

Odd that the OP said it comes on when "people on the other end are talking". Alternator whine should be present with or without a signal present and in AM mode as well as SSB. Not sure but IIRC it doesn't change pitch when the clarifier is adjusted.

Reactions: Moleculo
We need the youtube so we can stop guessing. a couple of my radios have drifting birdies

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.