• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSB Radio

codeman

Recovering Crackerhead
Jul 10, 2011
I am looking at getting my first SSB radio. I currently have an old Connex 3300hp. I've had it about 12 years or better. Now I love that radio. I had it setup by Clay's and have no problem getting out and making some dx contacts from time to time. But now i am interested in getting into sideband.

I want a big talking radio for am and and one that is easy to use driving down the road. The one that I am looking at is a SuperStar 158 EDX , turned down for a RM Italy 203p to go with it. But one thing I do not like about the SS 158 is the brightness of the lights. Is it possible for a tech to put a dimmer on the radio?

I am also looking at a Magnum S45hp to run barefoot, I like the scan features and memory presets but I am not crazy about the styling. I have read good and bad about both of these radios, so I'm trying to choose what would be best for me to use in a semi and probably trying it as a base sometimes in the future.

One other radio I like the styling of is the Galaxy 94t, but the price is up there. I like that it has some good power and a cooling fan built in. And, like most radios, I've found good and bad reviews on it.

Right now I am leaning toward the SS 158EDX but those bright lights at night are not going to work for me

I know the SS 158 with the Rm Italy would be more powerful then the magnum S45hp, but my question --is it really needed to to talk ssb?

Which OF THESE 3 would be the best choice?

I plan on buying my radio from Customcbradios.com or bellscb.com

If you are serious about talking SSB you will want a processor controlled radio. Something like a 2950, 2510/Lincoln, Magnum Delta/Omega Force, Magnum 257 variant, or the new Stryker SSB radio.

If you just talk SSB 25% of the time a Magnum S9 would be good, or even find an old school Uniden Grant xl and add extra channels. A Galaxy SSB radio will drift on SSB and drive you nuts.

A good all around talker with loads of features is the OmegaForce HP or the Stryker. Those would be good barefoot. You might want to up-grade your amplifier. The term "big AM talker" and a KL-203 don't go together. The KL-203 is a light duty low low drive amp.

In the end it's up to you and what you want to buy.

code,

Not one of your 3 choices but, I have been running a Ranger 2970N2 for about a year now and LOVE it. Talked Dx from NW Europe to Australia and coast to coast from Arkansas on SSB in my truck.

My radio guy said that the Ranger is one of best for NOT drifting.

But like posted above, get what you like and are comfortable using.

Reactions: 1 person
I want a big talking radio for am and and one that is easy to use driving down the road. The one that I am looking at is a SuperStar 158 EDX , turned down for a RM Italy 203p to go with it. But one thing I do not like about the SS 158 is the brightness of the lights. Is it possible for a tech to put a dimmer on the radio?

IDK if a dimmer can be added...but I have heard of folks using window tint to help reduce the brightness at night. But as mentioned the SS158EDX (much like Galaxys) will drift on SSB especially when cold. Not something you want.

I am also looking at a Magnum S45hp to run barefoot, I like the scan features and memory presets but I am not crazy about the styling. I have read good and bad about both of these radios, so I'm trying to choose what would be best for me to use in a semi and probably trying it as a base sometimes in the future.

If you can find a properly working S45, then this will be a better rig.

One other radio I like the styling of is the Galaxy 94t, but the price is up there. I like that it has some good power and a cooling fan built in. And, like most radios, I've found good and bad reviews on it.

About the same as an SS158EDX. IMO radios like the SS158EDX and any of the Galaxy radios with SSB are good for truckers that might once in a blue moon, decide to talk on SSB.

I know the SS 158 with the Rm Italy would be more powerful then the magnum S45hp, but my question --is it really needed to to talk ssb?

Not really....power is really only good for helping you bust thru pile ups. A good antenna with good coax and low SWR's are what makes or breaks any radio. On a good day, you can talk skip on less than 15 watts of power. For the sake of talking AM only power, I've personally talked over 1000 miles away using nothing more than a Wilson 1k mag mount and a stock thirty-three year old (built in 1979) Cobra 21. :w00t:

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks to all who responded, I can see that the SS 158 and Galaxy 94 are out.
I will probably go with the Magnum S45. Although I wouldn't mind having a Ranger 2970, but I think I would like it better for a base setup.

I bought a new Radio Shack 21-534 SWR meter to check out the new Wilson FGT I put on my truck. I was surprised that the cheap Roadpro SWR meter I already had was fairly accurate. My SWRs are about 1:1 across the CB band. That's if I take the heavy duty spring off. with the spring on channel 40 goes up to 1:5. So I'll have to work on that.

I did find out that my Connex 3300hp is not working correctly, it only has a deadkey of 4 watts and swings to just 7-8 watts. I thought it was just me not reading the meter right, but I hooked up my old Cobra 19 and it was right on..4 watt deadkey to about a 12 watt swing. I am surprised I have been getting out as well as I have been. I'll have to get that Connex fixed when I get my new radio.

Well for a base set up
would be better with an IC-7000 or a 756 Pro 3

2970 works great as a mobile
(is what it was designed for )

i run the 158edx in my fuel truck and run ssb 3/4 of the time and i do not have a drift problem at all.when i start at 3 am the first 15 minutes or so it will bounce a little but then just sit right where it was set at.it is real touchie n the clarifier on fine when driving but quick to recover.but every radio is different.

Thanks to all who responded, I can see that the SS 158 and Galaxy 94 are out.
I will probably go with the Magnum S45. Although I wouldn't mind having a Ranger 2970, but I think I would like it better for a base setup.

I bought a new Radio Shack 21-534 SWR meter to check out the new Wilson FGT I put on my truck. I was surprised that the cheap Roadpro SWR meter I already had was fairly accurate. My SWRs are about 1:1 across the CB band. That's if I take the heavy duty spring off. with the spring on channel 40 goes up to 1:5. So I'll have to work on that.

I did find out that my Connex 3300hp is not working correctly, it only has a deadkey of 4 watts and swings to just 7-8 watts. I thought it was just me not reading the meter right, but I hooked up my old Cobra 19 and it was right on..4 watt deadkey to about a 12 watt swing. I am surprised I have been getting out as well as I have been. I'll have to get that Connex fixed when I get my new radio.

Keep your eyes open for a 2970DX with the low profile heat sink and the pair of 2290 finals. I think this is the best of the breed. They can be had clean for 200-250 used. If you buy new it will have to be an NOS that's been sitting on a shelf or the N2 version.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.