• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSTV MP-73N

doctor

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2006
indiana
Activity at last...30 meters sstv..guys using mmsstv free software program.
Frequency 10.132...mp73n only...., condx improving slightly..3 states....Mornings so far after 10 am.

DOCTOR/795

MP73,.....???

not that it is wrong or incorrect, but,..... why mp73?

conventional usage is scottie 1/2 stateside and martin 1/2 europe.

(add on) BTW: there is a 10 meter SIMPLEX sstv repeater on 28.690 24/7 (k3asi).

transmitter is in N.C. and uses a 1750 Hz tone for activation.

MP73N

I am no expert, but they say the other modes for sstv are to wide for 30 meters, so the ops have chosen the most narrow mode mp73n.

Yes if the band would open slightly<10 meters>, it would be fun to use it, but condx in the cornfield<Indiana>, have been the pits..

DOCTOR/795

ok, i was wondering. i just checked, seems i had forgotten the 500 Hz bandwidth on 30. i can understand and support the narrow mode on 30.

listening on .132 now (13:30UTC) and hearing numerous "0" stations. i'll give a call in a few minutes and see what happens.

i just checked out the YAHOO 30 meter sstv user group,......... some good info there. saw your posts there. kinda funny, you don't have to "join" that group, its unmoderated

add... (1400 UTC) worked a 2x2 in iowa (i'm in west tn right now) for about 10 pics, then lost the band. a packet station started up just up the band. .133,.. so i closed up my RX to 500Hz and it "went away"

Last edited:
SSTV

GREAT, unfortunately I wasn't home, I have it on now, Europe wx rtty is in here att. I use a dipole and just switched to a 10 meter delta loop, it tunes up<wow>, and the Europe commercial stn is louder. I am considering a 30 meter delta loop I like them myself.
What kind of antenna you using on 30.

See you on sstv, l in Indiana..
DOCTOR/795

Last edited:
I was one of the stations there Saturday. I throw out a CQ on 30 from time to time. I enjoy getting the indignant emails "YOU'RE TRANSMITTING SSTV ON 30 METERS!!!!!". Yes, yes I am.

I was just on but condx are not up to snuff, will try agn tmrw evening around 6-6:15 DST..INDIANA

DOCTOR/795

i can understand that, is is a little confusing in part 97. also many people havn't even looked @ a part 97 in many, many years.:oops:

sstv was NOT legal on 30 meters before, "normal" MMSSTV is 1200 baud.
however, that was changed a few YEARS ago and sstv (data) was specifically noted as being legal on 30 meters provided the band width was 500 Hz or less (I.E. MP73-N):

>§97.3 Definitions.
> >
> >(c)(2) Data.Telemetry, telecommand and computer communications emissions
> >having (i) designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first
> >symbol, 1 as the second symbol, and D as the third symbol; (ii) emission
> >J2D; and (iii) emissions A1C, F1C, F2C, J2C, and J3C having an occupied
> >bandwidth of 500 Hz or less
when transmitted on an amateur service
> >frequency below 30 MHz.

sstv

A lot of police out there<ha ha>, they should read the rules before blowing steam...

30 was in bad shape this am..not much going on on it, maybe condx will improve later this week.

DOCTOR/795

just another question. how are they id-ing you?

are you using the cw-ider built into mmsstv? its not required to use it or to even id EVERY pic.

i find using id'er every transmission to be annoying/wasteful. i just id via a macro in one pic at least every 10 to be legal.

if you don't use the cw-ider, they at least have to be capable of RXing sstv before they can blame YOU.;)

btw, i dug up an old 30 meter sstv/legal? thread on the 'ZED, i havn't checked it yet today to see if there are any other posts in it

I ID every couple pics or every CQ. Most people who have written have decoded the pics. MMSSTV will automagically decode regardless of mode. I do not use the CW IDer. Yesterday the well intentioned and good natured ham who contacted me saw my self spot.

SSTV

I got an e mail someone has posted for the group saying no sstv allowed on 30 meters and he is communication with fcc, and they to take legal action etc....some n4 call from MASS..
it is under yahoo groups 30 mtr mp73-n sstv

DOCTOR/795

...some n4 call from MASS..
it is under yahoo groups 30 mtr mp73-n sstv

DOCTOR/795

that would be N4BAA.. he also posted on the 'ZED and people promptly asked him to provide PROOF and not just his OPINION.

it seems he is missing one little detail of the FCC 2006 R & O.......:oops:

the fcc now defines an IMAGE as a DATA transmission if it is less than 500 Hz on 30 meters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.