• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Strange problem with Galaxy DX99v

wulff

Aug 19, 2011
I picked up a used DX99 off ebay (got it for a little more than $100 because a bad capacitor caused buzzing with the frequency meter on) fixed that and was testing it out, everything looked fine with 10 watts DK even swinging up!
The previous owner had installed a RN 203 stinger inside and it does kick it up to about 40 watts DK (but I am thinking of removing it as I use SSB more than AM or FM) also, if I need more power I have my homebuilt external amp.
Okay, here is the problem..
When I turn either the display dimmer or the RF adjustment both knobs due the same thing, they dim the meters but the RF drops with it!! If I want to put out 10 watts I have to turn either knob (doesn't matter which one) to full right to work!
I haven't had a chance to look over what might have been changed from the schematic, I'm pretty sure it isn't the Stinger board due to the simple in/out rf and pwr hook-up for the board that doesn't really have anything to do with anything other than the finals.
I did remove the ugly yellow meter lamp (left the red transmit lamp) and hooked 2 blue LEDs into the same lamp circuit (wth limiting resistors) these I stuck under te bottom of the meter securing them with clear RTV, makes a nice blue glow without hotspots (just thought I would throw this in just in case someone else hated the original meter light too!!).
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Wulff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.