• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

STRANGEST INTERFERENCE PROBLEM EVER!

KC2OST

BANNED
Mar 4, 2007
texas ranger 696f base hooked to a low pass filter with a 3ft jumper..
connected to a low pass filter.. using a quick disconnect to a 12 ft
jumper to a A99 on my balcony..

the antenna is NOT grounded..

i have a very nice old man that lives downstairs..
yesterday i was home talking on the radio..
carrier 5w and true peak power 23w

he said he can hear me and when i talk i blank out his tv sometimes..
ok this i can understand..

HE SAYS HE CAN HEAR BOTH SIDES OF THE CONVERSATION THROUGH HIS TV!!!

how the hell is this possible??? when he knocked on my door to tell me
i had the radios volume turned down and was not talking..

pretty much, when the base is connected and recieving he is hearing
the transmissions from others broadcasting!

the guy doesnt come out much and i left him a letter on his door
appologizing and giving him my numbers to call me..

im scratching my head, i can understand my interfering with things..
how the hell is he hearing what im recieving??

bad low pass filter?
quick disconnect problem?

maybe try isolating the 110v ac cord to the radio?

the only way i see him hearing both sides of the conversation is if his tv could receive your 10.695mhz or 455khz IF on receive and your transmission on tx,
never heared of it before.

Hearing you is one thing, not that uncommon, sort of. Hearing the 'other' side of the conversation means one of three things. The other stations are very close and interfering too. He has a really, really uncommon TV set. Or your radio is somehow feeding through the AC lines to his set.
That last one is so 'left field' that I'd rule it out to start with, or patent the thing! The second one is a real 'stretch' too. Probably possible, but very unlikely at all. So, that leaves the first possibility. Those 'other' stations are very close (same building or next door, maybe?). Uh, just how likely is that? You'd know more about that than I would.
Then there's always the possibility that his hearing the 'other' side of those conversations might not be the exact truth, sort of. Maybe? 'Nuther one'a them 'beats me!' thingys.
Whatever the reason it's not a very common occurrence, so I think a little more investigation would certainly be in order. Think he'd mind swapping places for a little while so you could hear what he's hearing?
- 'Doc

Fweeeuu! Glad it's you and not me :).

some of the stations are close, but i dont think that is it..

he has never complained before until i hooked up this base..

the way he described it and the fact i stopped transmitting for a while
it seems that when the base is connected to the antenna and i have
the radio on thats when he hears EVERYTHING!

i have digital cable and when i transmit it does not get in my tv or
fuzz up the screen.. havent checked to see if i get into the phone
but i doubt it, we have digital phone from the cable company also..

he has satelite tv, i dont know how old his tv is or what can be wacked out..

one problem is, he barely ever comes out of the house!
lived here since february and i saw him 3 times!!!!

something is definitely wrong here..
my truck is 10-7 because my amp is out for repairs..
he never complained about the occasional burst of rf when i keyed in the lot for a minute or 2..

my wifes car has a small amp and it was confirmed the other day that
when i key it up from a block away, it gets into the house phone!

HIS COMPLAINT WAS HE HEARS "BOTH SIDES OF THE CONVERSATION NOW"

this is very weird..

if i ever see him again i will try and get more info..
:cry:

A smart guy I chat with on the pc seems to think that someone is riding in on your carrier when you're transmitting.

You being a ham op I would think the fcc would be more than happy to inspect your station and help with any and all issues you're having with your neighbors entertainment devices.

A smart guy I chat with on the pc seems to think that someone is riding in on your carrier when you're transmitting.

You being a ham op I would think the fcc would be more than happy to inspect your station and help with any and all issues you're having with your neighbors entertainment devices.

i wasnt transmitting when he complained.. the volume was down and
just idle.. he was first hearing me, then hearing my recieve!
i was 10-7 for a while..

it was like my antenna was picking up things and somehow it was getting
into his shit..

the fcc is not going to come here to trouble shoot a problem like this..
my meter reads 5w carrier and 23w peak.. this is not a dirty radio..
there is also a low pass filter inline..
and close enough to spec for me not to get a NAL..

i wasnt transmitting when he complained.. the volume was down and
just idle.. he was first hearing me, then hearing my recieve!
i was 10-7 for a while..

it was like my antenna was picking up things and somehow it was getting
into his shit..

the fcc is not going to come here to trouble shoot a problem like this..
my meter reads 5w carrier and 23w peak.. this is not a dirty radio..
there is also a low pass filter inline..
and close enough to spec for me not to get a NAL..

They will show up if he complain enough and I know you're trying to solve this problem but there is no way he can hear whats being recieved on you rig.

has he actually told you what the other guys are saying to prove he is hearing them?

what other gear do ya have in there?,

our old 49mhz low power cordless phones used to interfere with the next door neighburs uhf tv and she could hear both sides of the conversation, i did not beleive it untill i went round and heared it myself clear as a bell so it dont take a transmitter of any significant power to get in under certain circumstances that still evade me to this day,
what about intercoms/bayby monitors ect,

check the place for bugs, maybe the last tennant left a transmitter so he can beat off while listening in,

maybe your neighbur has a cb/scanner or a plain old fashioned drinking glass and hes taking the piss because hes lonely, you are the only person hes talked to in days, solitude does strange things to a mans mind.

They will show up if he complain enough and I know you're trying to solve this problem but there is no way he can hear whats being recieved on you rig.

he wont complain because since that day i have left the antenna disconnected.
the unit has been off and will remain off until i can figure out what is going on.

my downstairs neighbor is very nice.. very quiet..

the guy has lived here for 8 years.. we are right next to the highway..
so im sure some people whipping by with an amp on have come
through the phove, tv, etc.. before..

i cant catch this guy to talk to him about what he heard that day..
the way he explained it, it started the day i hooked up the base to
the antenna..

this is a very weird problem..

has he actually told you what the other guys are saying to prove he is hearing them?

our old 49mhz low power cordless phones used to interfere with the next door neighburs uhf tv and she could hear both sides of the conversation, i did not beleive it untill i went round and heared it myself clear as a bell so it dont take a transmitter of any significant power to get in under certain circumstances that still evade me to this day,

check the place for bugs, maybe the last tennant left a transmitter so he can beat off while listening in,

maybe your neighbur has a cb/scanner or a plain old fashioned drinking glass and hes taking the piss because hes lonely, you are the only person hes talked to in days, solitude does strange things to a mans mind.

never thought about the being lonely thing.. hmm..

im on the lookout for him..
when i catch him, i will ask more about the problem..
i would like to fix this..

kind of sucks.. my truck is 10-7 and i cant even listen on the base..

if it turns out he has an old TV then i will buy him a new one..

if i scratch my head any harder, i will have a bald spot :confused:

I agree withbob85, it is too weird to evan relate to. Maybe all the CBA tech's can give you some input, JPT.

Hey yo, how about asking him if he has ghosts? Or if HE is scratching his head, because one of his real friends completly stopped talking to him LIKE HE NEVER EXISTED, once he sobered up and found GOD? That may be why he is starving for attention, how about that? JPT.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.