• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

strong carriers with no audio?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
I have been listing from 26.9 down to below the 160m band

along the way I have found a few dead carrier... some as high as s9 + 35

but no audio is transmitted, what is it?

It's kinda weird stuff

Do they ever go away or are they fading in and out or is it just a constant meter reading?

constant

however a few of them I found at the lower end of 26MHz (26.010MHz, 26.1335) also had a repeating 'swoosh' sound, much easier to hear on SSB (the others had nothing on SSB)

the aleins are coming.<More audio>:blink: just kiddin, i get the on ch 8 and 37 on cb here between 6am-9am, and then a beep..beep..beep..beep..beep from 7pm-8pm here, then they are quite between those times.:glare: strange huh?

I also have encounterd this. Seti institute here in california is helpful with "Alien" signals and what not. Might want to consider good recording software with good signal maps and email it to them. I doubt it's another life form , but you never know.

I also have encounterd this. Seti institute here in california is helpful with "Alien" signals and what not. Might want to consider good recording software with good signal maps and email it to them. I doubt it's another life form , but you never know.

I doubt intergalactic transmissions would be on the HF bands, but hey who knows

I see, so that's why they never show up within the normal bands, always outside the bands.

however they do get louder/quieter (higher/lower s units) if I switch to a different antenna

Unmodulated signals of S9+35 and steady are usually birdies in the receiver. Sometime they may be modulated by clicks or sweeping or even pulsing noises depending on the source. they are internally generated signals that leak out and are picked up by the radio.

What is birdie? - Definition from WhatIs.com

Last year the city installed two very tall (telephone pole lookalikes) they a lot taller with what looks like ghz yagis...I now have pulsating beeps @ 11mhz and 4mhz on any carrier; am,ssb,FM,VWFM,VNAM.ETC ETC
Small white signs 10' up with the word (notice)
Oh yea they also laid 1000' + of what looks like hardened coax.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.