• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 440 hp and amp

Mulishaman187

Dec 26, 2009
Like the title says I have a SR440-HP and currently have a texas star DX 350HDV hooked up. A friend has a texas star dx 1600 he is gonna sell me. Just wanted to know if anyone has ever ran anything like this and if there are any problems doing it. Bleeding over, interference, over modulation. Thanks

Wecome to the forum Mulishaman187

You might have to de-tune the radio some; as the +55 watt PEP output may be a bit much for that DX350 Texas Star amp (I have a DX350 too). But - you probably know that one by now. Must have been over-driving it a bit - eh?

The Stryker will have no problems with the 1600; as it requires up to 100 watts to drive that amp - if I'm not mistaken. Should sound pretty clean and loud w/o driving it to the max with that Stryker...

Texas Star Specs:
Texas Star Export Feature Chart

Stryker Radio Specs:
High Power Mosfet Finals
55+ watts PEP
Digital Echo with Dual Front Mounted Controls
Two Different Roger Beeps with switch control on front panel
Variable Power Control from one watt to over 50 watts PEP
Variable Talk Back Control
Back Lighted Controls
Blue Meter Light and Channel Display
Large Round Easy to Read Meter
Advanced NB/ANL Circuit
Automatic AWI alerts operator if their SWR's are too high
Front Mic connector for easy mounting
Receive and Microphone Gain Controls
Frequency Counter Jack pre-wired for FC-390 style counters
1 Year Limited Factory Warranty

Actually I don't know too much about it. A cb shop set me up. I've been online trying to soak up as much info as I can there just aren't a lot of places that I've found to get that info. What do you mean detune? I have the variable power knob turned all the way down on the radio and the amp is dialed in about three quarters the way to full.

OK
The radio will swing up to 55+ watts output/PEP ("peak envelope power" in watts). The Texas Star DX 350 should be driven with no more than 25-30 watts input - or PEP watts. That means that the Texas Star DX 350 is being 'over driven' from the input of that amp. However, the Texas Star 1600 requies/up to 100 watts of input power. Since the Stryker radio has 55+ watts; it is less than the 100 watt input limit. Which means that the 1600 amp won't be over-driven.

Overdriving an amp will get hot and sound distorted and noisy; while an amp that is getting the proper input power will sound loud, clean, clear, and run cooler. In other words - the amp won't be running improperly. This will make it last longer as it runs cooler.

If you are going to use the Stryker with the DX 350 amp; then you will be overdriving the amp's input power specifications. Not good for the amp. So, if one were to use that radio on that amp, a shop may have to turn down the radio output to match the DX 350's power input requirement. The DX 350 would like to see 20 watts PEP; so 55 watts PEP is more than twice what it needs. I wouldn't push the Stryker past the 30 watt PEP if I were to run that radio into the DX 350.

Last edited:
Ah I see. So just turning the power knob all the way down isn't enough?

Depends what it says when reading the radio on a watt meter. If it is doing 35 watts PEP when the RF out is tuned ll the way down - it is on the border. Remember - that Texas Star recommends the power input requirements - not me. It is OK to run it a little higher than what they recommend; but a lot higher isn't good for the amp.

What does you power meter say when it is hooked up to the radio w/o the linear amp on?

EXAMPLE: I'd run my Galaxy 99v with this linear (3-30 watts PEP); but I wouldn't run my Magnum OmegaForce (5-65 watts PEP) with it.

Last edited:
I don't have a power meter yet. Going to grab one as soon as I find one. According to the shop I bought the radio at it has 100w swing on it with the power turned up. It was used and modified.is the power meter on the radio pretty accurate or do I need an external one?

I don't have a power meter yet. Going to grab one as soon as I find one. According to the shop I bought the radio at it has 100w swing on it with the power turned up. It was used and modified.is the power meter on the radio pretty accurate or do I need an external one?
Don't get me wrong here; it will work. The DX 350 amp has two 2879 transistors - pretty hardy devices. But it won't be clean sounding; it will sound a bit dirty. But it will work. A power meter 'bridge' is a proper thing to have when one has a linear. IF nothing else, to check the system from time to time for power and SWR. I don't run my meter bridge most of the time.

I would just run the radio at a lower setting on the RF output - it should be OK so long as you don't transmit at long periods of time. Excessive heat is what can destroy the transistors in the amp...

It would work, if the carrier level is adjusted correctly, and the AMC hasn't been defeated so that the AMC can be set for slighylt over 100% modulation with a 3 watt or so carrier. That way it's not (oh God dare I say it using this term) "swinging" to 55+ watts.

Sounds like you need to start buying radio stuff from a better shop. I really doubt your Stryker 440 is "swinging" 100 watts like they told you. Sounds impressive though.

First step is to buy a decent watt meter and see where your at. Then go from there. Here is an example of a nice meter for the money.
SWR and Power Meters

Not to sound like a pain here,,,, but did everyone misread what he first wrote,,,, he said he had that radio and amp set up and was looking at buying a bigger amp, his question is,,,, is he gonna have any problems running the bigger amp behind his radio,,,,, i read each post and was shocked to see every one misread his first post,,,,im not trying to start a problem with this but for a new guy like my self and him , getting the wrong info would turn a person away from this site like that,,,,,mark

Not to sound like a pain here,,,, but did everyone misread what he first wrote,,,, he said he had that radio and amp set up and was looking at buying a bigger amp, his question is,,,, is he gonna have any problems running the bigger amp behind his radio,,,,, i read each post and was shocked to see every one misread his first post,,,,im not trying to start a problem with this but for a new guy like my self and him , getting the wrong info would turn a person away from this site like that,,,,,mark
You know...You are right!
It wasn't exactly clear - but I see it now.

OK. If he is planning on running a Texas Star 1600; the input requirement as stated by TS says that a 100 watt input will yield 1200 watts output.
Texas Star Export Feature Chart
Running the 1600 with the TS 350 as a driver is just too hot - as far as output to input is concerned. I think I already pointed out that his radio is too hot for the TS 350; but the TS 1600 would be OK. Just right AAMOF; if the radio modulates up to 100 watts as claimed.

Matching the requirement by the factory specs will yield a clean output; whereas overdriving the amp's input will result in more dirty watts. It is a question if one wants to make it sound like a splatterbox - or if one wants to make it work as intended by the engineers who designed it.

Thanks for the info everyone. I saw it hit close to 100 on the meter where I bought the radio, but I know some shops use rigged meters. The 1600 amp I was gonna get needs new pills so I'm not sure if I wanna mess with it or not.

I found another amp, a Texas Star 667v. The guy who owns it claims it can do around 800w. He said it was re-pilled. Is it possible to get that output on this amp? And Rob, do you have the specs on this amp?

The 667 has a driver pill, it's for a low powered radio. There is no way a Stryker 440 will work with that one......unless......you have the Stryker tuned for a 1.75 watt dead key and 20 watts peak.

" Not to sound like a pain here,,,, but did everyone misread what he first wrote,,,, he said he had that radio and amp set up and was looking at buying a bigger amp, his question is,,,, is he gonna have any problems running the bigger amp behind his radio,,,,, i read each post and was shocked to see every one misread his first post,,,,im not trying to start a problem with this but for a new guy like my self and him , getting the wrong info would turn a person away from this site like that,,,,,mark "

What shocks me is a cb shop that "sets him up" with a 100 watt radio into a Texas Star 350. He has been given the right info here by
several members.

1) A Stryker 440 is a 50-60 watt radio.
2) A Texas Star 350 works best with a 2 watt dead key and 12-30 watts peak input.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.