• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 440 hp and amp

What exactly is a driver pill?

A 'pill' is a slang term to describe a linear power transistor.
They look like large aspirin; so they are called 'pills'.

Linears are different; they just use output transistors - or drivers and output transistors. The 667 amp includes a 'driver transistor' on board. So, the power input requirements of that amp are much lower than an amp that doesn't have a driver transistor - like the TS 350 - which doesn't have a driver transistor. Just two final transistors instead.

And another question can I run 2 amps in series with each other? Like my 350 and the 667?

No, because the output of the TS 350 will have too much output for the 667 input.
Running your radio alone into the 667 would be too much output power for the input of the 667 amp as well!

Example: There are three transistors that are responsible for RF power output in any radio. A pre-driver, a driver, and a final transistor. They each gradually build up the output power in each stage. Linears aren't often built with a driver. They were put in for those who have radios that have a low output - like a Cobra 29 or 148.

That's it...

Well time to pick your brains again. I found a Worldwide MF-440. It said in the ad its 1x4. Does this mean it also has the driver pill and my radio will be too powerfull?

Well time to pick your brains again. I found a Worldwide MF-440. It said in the ad its 1x4. Does this mean it also has the driver pill and my radio will be too powerfull?

Yup!
You got it!
If it was me; I would get the Texas Star DX 500 or DX 500Variable. Which is a straight 4-pill amp, and then turn your 'RF power' on the radio almost all of the way down - or less. This should work out just fine. But that is what I would do...

Don't worry about asking any question that you might have.
This is a forum - after all...

Alright, I'm starting to learn. I've mainly been searching craigslist and pawn shops for amps and a few old timers I know. CB shops seem to charge too much for amps. Haven't had any luck in the pawn shops, did pick up a general lee with the blue lights for 35, seems to work good. He didnt know what he had. Ill keep an eye out for the TS 500

HI everyone I also have the same Stryker and also a connex 440hp-zx. I dont know any one here and this is one of my fist posts so just saying hello and I hope this stryker is a good radio I got it yesterday for 150.00 ;-)

HI everyone I also have the same Stryker and also a connex 440hp-zx. I dont know any one here and this is one of my fist posts so just saying hello and I hope this stryker is a good radio I got it yesterday for 150.00 ;-)
Welcome to the WWRF - bogartrules.

It is a neo-classic radio - with lotsa usable features - no doubt!

What shocks me is a cb shop that "sets him up" with a 100 watt radio into a Texas Star 350. He has been given the right info here by
several members.

1) A Stryker 440 is a 50-60 watt radio.
2) A Texas Star 350 works best with a 2 watt dead key and 12-30 watts peak input.

I originally had the amp hooked to a Cobra 29. I later bought the Stryker at Skipshooters CB shop in Carlisle, PA. I brought the amp in for him to match it all up and he told me it will all work fine. I was told the same thing by DTB radio in carlisle.

I originally had the amp hooked to a Cobra 29. I later bought the Stryker at Skipshooters CB shop in Carlisle, PA. I brought the amp in for him to match it all up and he told me it will all work fine. I was told the same thing by DTB radio in carlisle.

Like I said, it will work. But not without gobs of distortion and splatter. Especially if that Stryker lowest PEP exceeds 40 watts for too long. A lot of people do it that way - and shops will sell people whatever they want. Some operators will run so much power into their amps until the point that they cannot be understood - which defeats the whole purpose - in order to sound 'loud'. Or to the point that it ends up damaging the linear amp. I can run my TS DX 350 in my mobile with my Galaxy DX 99V - but I will turn down the RF output on the radio first. It will still sound plenty loud w/o forcing the amp to overheat by overdriving its input too much. Even then, I will have over-driven it some - but not much.

Shops sell and service what people will buy and use - despite the shops best advice. At some point - they just say 'OK - if you want it to work this way - I'll sell it to you this way". I guess that it is popular and radio fashionable to do it this way any more. Sure I like loud; but I like clean better. Both is best.

But you have asked the right questions, such as "is this the best way?" and "how should this be done?" Now that you have seen the Texas Star mfr page on amp specifications - you can also clearly see for yourself that the DX 1200 and DX 1600 are the amps that need the 100 watt PEP input - as your Styker provides. But you can also see that people do overdrive their amps. If you are looking twards the DX 500 - it will work too - just so long as your turn the output power on your Stryker waaay down...

As someone with first hand experience on the Stryker let me pipe in....

It VERY MUCH depends how the Stryker has been set up The Stryker can be set two ways.

1. Variable power from minimum to maximum, Max Peak power varies somewhat linear to carrier power.

2. Peak power stays the same no matter the carrier.

Now IF you Stryker is setup as example 1, you have no problems UNLESS YOU run the variable to high. If it is as 2, then most of the comments ARE correct.

So anyone making assumptions and straight out saying it won't work IS mistaken.

The Stryker can be easily set to Key a couple watts and have a Peak power out under 20 watts as read on a Bird 43P. These are not guesses, but facts based upon actual hands on experience.

Well I just traded my Stryker for a Magnum S-680. When the shop hooked my Stryker up to his meter it read around 65w not 100w. The Magnum read around 95w on the same meter. Just thought I'd update my setup on this thread.

Yep...Magnums put out some serious smoke...
I really like mine...

So - how are you going to use this radio on the Texas Star DX 350?
That Magnum will SURELY overdirive it.
OR...Are you going for the DX 1200 or DX 1600???
I'm guessing here...Is this your plan?

Pic: Magnum S-680

Attachments

• Magnum S 680.jpg
    Magnum S 680.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 31

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.