• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker Sr-440hp Review

The SR-440HP is capable on easily peaking at 62 + watts PEP or more. Remember this radio doesn't use the same final transistor setup as the S3 does. It is capable of more power, while still running at a low temperature and without over modulation or harmonics. The numbers I have personally quoted are from a Bird 4391 RF Analyst with the radio at 14.10 volts. DTB uses a similarly accurate peak reading arrangement and can verify the accuracy of these claims. I've spoken to a number of shops over the last week that have consistently seen this power output on a Bird or comparable meter. On the box it actually states 55 + watts PEP, so from a marketing stand point we weren't trying to over hype what the radio was capable of doing.

Thanks, sounds like this might just be the one to try.

I can definitely confirm the 60+ output readings. I've been seeing right around 63-65 on the production units that I've tested.

For the doubters among you, I'll describe my test setup for power tests. The radio goes through my wavenode module, then directly into a Bird 4314B. The Wavenode module has an RF voltage divider tap, with its output connected to my frequency-counter and o'scope. From the Bird, it goes through a coax switch, then to a 50-ohm resistive load. My test voltage is 14.1 volts, constantly monitored by my bench computer.

My test procedure is as follows:

1. Modulate the radio, setting the vertical calibration of the o'scope so that max peaks (full AM envelope voltage) just hit 8 divisions.

2. Take a carrier reading from the Bird in PEP mode, and take a division count from the o'scope while keyed (NO modulation)

3. Plug the carrier value and keyed division count into a PEP calculator program which gives a PEP value based directly on the Bird reading.

Since the carrier (CW) accuracy of the Bird 43 series of meters is rated at 5% of full scale, and the PEP is rated at 8% of full scale, I choose to base my PEP tests on the higher accuracy of the carrier reading. Since the scope shows a perfectly proportional relative voltage, it is ideal for calculating PEP at the same 5% accuracy level as the Bird's carrier readings.

Ohms law is the formula, and the derivation is pretty simple.

1. Calculate the voltage being developed at the given carrier level, using the formula 'V = the square root of (P*R)'

2. Take the voltage reading, and divide it by the division count seen when keyed. This gives the actual voltage value of each 'scope division.

3. Take that result, and multiply it by 8 (the number of divisions when modulated) to get the voltage when modulated, then apply the formula 'P = (V squared)/R' to get the PEP level.

With radios using a carrier-control POT (galaxy, connex, etc), it becomes painfully simple to calculate the PEP. Simply set the scope for 8 divisions modulated, then set the carrier control POT for exactly 4 divisions keyed, and multiply the carrier reading by 4 to get the PEP level.

Here's an image which shows the various relationships of ohm's law, so you can follow along.

ohmslaw.gif

Sorry Master but i have heard the same thing about the radio looking alot like a Magnum inside.Does not change the fact that it has mad swing!Hell i think it sounds alot better than the few Magnums i have heard.

You wanna put this to rest then post some pics of a Mag and SR-440 HP side by side.Any takers on this one?

Looks can be decieving. I was told by Walcott cb that it was NOT the same board as the magnum. I know there are changes but is it the same board or not?

This a quote from Justin...

It's probably because they don't notice the changes in the circuitry, *OR* even if they did notice, they would have no idea what they're looking at. :LOL:

Not to throw "Gas" on the fire BUT why not go over to CB TRICKS.....Bennie does an excellent job in his unbiased way of taking the facts and laying them out............Form your own opinions....plus the pix he has will show you what you need to see......PLUS IT IS FREE...........

Sometimes" WE ALL" get caught up in somebody elses opinion,only you know what is needed out of your equipment;

Toyota sales go on "Loyalty"..GM on "American POWA and PRIDE"........the decision of which one you buy belongs to who? :?: ;)

Being a "Truck Driver",Galaxy radios have been the mainstay in my business BUT I never purchased one....I came here for opinions on "Exports"..took everyones "opinions" and then made my purchase...When I got the "POWA" bug a 2nd time.....guess what....I asked and you guys (& girls ;) :LOL: ) gave ideas again..........I totaly enjoy both my "big Radios".(drive the Galaxy boys nuts.both radios walk the walk ;) :LOL: :LOL: )
And this place is still the BEST at giving knowledge from all sides of the "Spectrum"..

I guess all I'm asking is to take everything with a "grain of salt"...Taking this here internet to seriously will only give you ulcers the size of whiskey bottles :shock: :roll: :roll: ..

Everyone enjoy their evening ...........

Snoope back hiding in the snow.......

Okay, I just bought my buddy's SR440 (he unexpectedly needed the money). Sounds great, looks great (especially at night), hears. . . .good? I was ready for an out of this world receiver, but it seems like it doesn't hear as well as my Magnum S-6. Is it just me, not being used to the radio not hearing the trash, and only hearing actual signals? Also, I think that the meter is not calibrated accurately. Signals that would peg the Magnum's meter at about an 8 only get the 440's meter up to about a 3 or 4. I am seriously considering sending it to Justin for the receiver modification. But, the one thing everyone agrees on (that hears it), it most definitely does NOT sound like a single final radio, and there is no mistaking it for a Galaxy!

That sounds good. I have the original box and all to send it in. Does the price of the Mosfet mod include making sure that the radio is set up correctly? I know shipping from you to me is a little over 12 dollars, please contact me with the total I will need (IM or e-mail). Thanks Justin.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.