• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Studio Microphone Scissor Boom

tuner

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Hi Guys,

I bought a cheap scissor boom lamp to use with my microphone, I thought "Great 22 bucks"! after changing this and that I have noticed it just isn't strong enough to hold up my new Shure sm 58. Long story short I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a scissor boom that will easily hold the weight of a Shure sm 58 Thanks very much :)

Does the boom have springs on it? I made mine from a four spring magnifier lamp boom and just changed out the two springs on the upper arm to a heavier wire gauge. Works like a charm.

Right on thanks guys,yes it has springs , not sure where the closest spring store is lol. It only has one knob to tighten in the middle. It will work , it just can't be extended to far without dropping.

Right on thanks guys,yes it has springs , not sure where the closest spring store is lol. It only has one knob to tighten in the middle. It will work , it just can't be extended to far without dropping.
Any good hardware store should have a selection of springs. You will probably find them with straight ends coming off the coil rather than the "loops" that are formed in your current springs. Just bend loops or hooks in them where needed and trim off the excess.

The ones that I used were actually a little TOO stiff and the mic kept creeping away from me, so I simply stretched the coils a little bit to reduce the tension.

Reactions: tuner
Any good hardware store should have a selection of springs. You will probably find them with straight ends coming off the coil rather than the "loops" that are formed in your current springs. Just bend loops or hooks in them where needed and trim off the excess.

The ones that I used were actually a little TOO stiff and the mic kept creeping away from me, so I simply stretched the coils a little bit to reduce the tension.
Very good Sir , thanks very much

You might consider removing a few coils off the existing springs and reforming the hook on the end. As long as you don't over stretch the springs it should provide more tension with a few less turns on it.

Reactions: tuner
I use an OC White ProBoom and really like it. Fiddled around with a converted lamp boom for a while and liked it a lot (especially since I scored it for free), but my latest setup was too heavy for it. This one will hold about 5 pounds worth of spyder mount/mic/pop filter. The springs don't "boing" and the boom is silent when you move it.

Brett

Reactions: mb91w126
I use an OC White ProBoom and really like it. Fiddled around with a converted lamp boom for a while and liked it a lot (especially since I scored it for free), but my latest setup was too heavy for it. This one will hold about 5 pounds worth of spyder mount/mic/pop filter. The springs don't "boing" and the boom is silent when you move it.

Brett
Great looking station Brett, thanks for the reply :)

Reactions: 2RT307 and binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.