• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Studying for General License

remote1

Feb 26, 2011
Hi, I am studying for my General class License and I just can't seem to get the lower bands (freqs) memorized. Anyone have a trick to learning them before actually being able to use them?

Any comments would be appreciated. I need to do something to get the light to come on so I can recognize what freq goes with what band. Oh I don't own an HF rig to play around and listen at this point.

Here's a tip for passing the General and Extra exams: Concentrate first on the areas that you understand and are learning and can remember the answers to. Ignore the parts that aren't sticking for you like the band limits. Take the practice tests and see if you can pass the tests even without remembering that section. The test is a pass/fail test and you don't get extra points for getting them all correct. As long as you can pass the test, you can always brush up on the other material or use other reference material in your day to day operation.

Hi, I am studying for my General class License and I just can't seem to get the lower bands (freqs) memorized. Anyone have a trick to learning them before actually being able to use them?

Any comments would be appreciated. I need to do something to get the light to come on so I can recognize what freq goes with what band. Oh I don't own an HF rig to play around and listen at this point.

Are you asking how to memorize what frequencies you can transmit on as a General class license holder or how to figure out what band a certain frequency is in?

If you need to find what band a frequency belongs to, the formula is 300/freq(in MHz)= band. It gets you close. The frequencies that you can operate as a General class you will have to try to memorize unless you can pass by missing some or all of them

Good Luck

Thanks

Thanks great tips. I will take advantage of all the comments and see what I can do. If I can learn them as I go, that may help, and the band plan may allow me to make since of it all.

They gave very good info,i myself listened to all the bands as far as the bandspread of the Gen freqs...when you pass check out 3963lsb is where i am all the time,and 3916lsb is a good freq at night also...73s de JW

Thanks for the help. I passed my General today only missing two, which I knew but marked them wrong. Now the fun begins...

congrats.gif
remote1!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.