• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sugestions for an amp for a rci 2970dx

madmax

Oct 7, 2008
i am looking for input on what amps work well with my rci2970dx i was thinking about a texas star 16 pill but i dont want to throw alot of splater if any one can help it would be very appresheated thank you

madmax..theres a 100 or so kicker already in that radio..if you go with a external amp also ,i,d say you need one that would take a higher drive..

Last edited:
Get a magnaforce 1000 IT is a straight 6 transistor amplifier and will do around 1000 watts which is all you probably need. what type of antenna do you have. This amp will require a good power source and good cable. atleast RG213/214. Are you planning to run this in the base or the mobile?
Check out xforce's website
http://www.xforceamps.com/shop/?cart=296143&cat=26
Its class B biased so it will sound good on sideband as well. I have heard these on the air they sound very nice. the are very clean.

Since the RCI 2970 has SSB you will want a class B or AB amplifier. That said aMagnaForce 600 or 1000 will work fine. You will ned to have the radio's dead key and ouput set to match the amps needs. A local guy ran a 2970 into a Magna 600 with a 10-15 watt dead key and 100-125 watts peak and he was sounding exellent. With the 6 pill Magna 1000 you could swing even more into it.

If you like the Texas Star 1600 that will also work. Again, proper dead key input is critical with that amp. Booty Monster, 150 watts peak is half what a Magna 1000 can take, with only 150 peak it will sound exellent. As long as the radio is not clipped you will be fine.

makes a whole lot of sense to go buy the cleanest high power export available and then go on a 2879 killing mission . that 1000 is rated for 725 watts without a big driver . thats about all the clean power you can expect from six 2879's .
They're rated as 100 watt devices by the folks that make them . BUT WHAT DO THEY KNOW ?? they only designed and enginered and make the things !!!!
Magna Force, Xforceamps
1200 watts....................on how many freqs. at the same time ?????

The local guy that ran the RCI 2970 into a Magna Force 600 ( 4 pill 2879 ) sounded loud, clean, and did not bleed any worse then someone running a dual final Export into a 2 pill.

He had a good local tech match the radio up to the amplifier better. At the point where the 2970 keyed 10-12 watts it was swinging about 110 on AM. The radio did have to be tuned down alittle, it had been tuned by some guy from here called Justin. He used to get rave reviews here as far as how well and clean he tuned his radio's.

I do understand what you are saying, this hobby tends to drive the heck out of amplifiers in some cases. All I DO KNOW is an RCI 2970 can and will work well with EITHER a Magna Force 600 or 1000. Thats that.

Since the RCI 2970 has SSB you will want a class B or AB amplifier. That said aMagnaForce 600 or 1000 will work fine. You will ned to have the radio's dead key and ouput set to match the amps needs. A local guy ran a 2970 into a Magna 600 with a 10-15 watt dead key and 100-125 watts peak and he was sounding exellent. With the 6 pill Magna 1000 you could swing even more into it.

If you like the Texas Star 1600 that will also work. Again, proper dead key input is critical with that amp. Booty Monster, 150 watts peak is half what a Magna 1000 can take, with only 150 peak it will sound excellent. As long as the radio is not clipped you will be fine.
What do think the dead key should be set at with a RCI 2970dx and the Texas Star 1600? I can run it on low at 10 watts dead key, or high at about 30. It swings to about 150 at either setting?
Thanks,
Gage

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to run that radio with a Texas Star Sweet 16. You'll definitely need to be careful with the installation, and have someone with a good scope attached to an antenna tune it in after its installed.
I'm new and need to ask a dumb question. Why is it so important to tune a radio with the AMP being used? If you're sure that you are not over driving it, what is the harm that can be done, or the benefit when trying different AMP's that have not been tuned to the radio. I'm using a RCI 2970dx. I want to try different AMP's but don't want to have to tune each one with the radio. What should I be doing to be sure I don't damage any of the equipment?

Thanks in advance,
Gage

Last edited:
If your just wanting to run say a Galaxy 99 with several different 2 and 4 pill amplifiers thats no problem. The radio has variable power so just make sure you adjust the dead key lever for each amp.

With a 2970 and a Sweet 16 I would not want to dead key more then 18 watts into the amp. I think DTB is just saying make sure all your ducks are in row when you step up to running an 8 pill.

Very good link. Shows you how much we tend to overdrive out amplifiers. Ten years ago a local guy ran a 2970 with a sweet 16. He would usually run 10-12 watts dead key 90-100 peak watts input. He was always wall to wall in that mobile.

Thank you

I like that link too (thank you freecell) and thanks for the info 9C1. It even makes sense to a newbie like me! (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.