• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

super cb in semi truck??? :)

he is using factory dual antennas that came on the truck, no adjustable ones.
thanks for all the advice. Im going to the radio store either today or tomorrow if I get a chance if not I will get a k5 or something that catches my eye at the truck stop and see how it does.

cobra 29ltd nw with weather band
adjusted for more power at a local shop
mic jack in front
built 2008
fire stick 4 footer adjusted by the local shop.
whats a texas star?

the firestick antenna is the weak link in your setup assuming your 29 was setup properly and that your install is correct . DONT USE THE CO-PHASED COAX LINE FOR A SINGLE ANTENNA . co-phased antennas use 75 ohm coax so the two antennas can work together with a radio/amp output that uses 50 ohms . since even on big rigs theres never enough distance between the mirrors to get the proper spacing for the dual antennas to provide any benefit a single antenna gives better performance and of course is cheaper than two antennas .

getting a better antenna with a mid loaded coil is optimal provided you get one with a bottom shaft long enough to get the coil well above the roof line of the vehicle . a 12 inch shaft predator 10K with dual coils is typically about as good as it gets for big trucks , itll be less than 5 ft tall and most of the top will be flexable stainless steel stinger .

a texas star is a brand of amp . you should get your antenna optimal before considering or getting a amp .

he is using factory dual antennas that came on the truck, no adjustable ones.
thanks for all the advice. Im going to the radio store either today or tomorrow if I get a chance if not I will get a k5 or something that catches my eye at the truck stop and see how it does.
I once setup a Columbia(an English transport) for a guy with a 17'' shaft predator 10-k with a rci-2950dx and a texas star amp and we talked 45 miles or so and with just the radio we talked 25 miles.

Don't buy a junky K antenna, you'll be sorry you did and if you must have one of the oil can style antennas go with the wilson trucker 2k on the 18'' shaft.

if your running a single antenna on a dual antenna setup this is a huge
mistake.go to truckstop/cbshop and get 9ft or 18 ft of rg 8x mini gray stuff
coax.rg58 will probaly be ok.this should help ya out alot.now even if your
antenna is tuned for good swr that doesnt mean its gonna get out the best
different antennas work better some not so good.why theres soooo many choices
the 2 best ones imho are preadtor 10k and wilson 5000 trucker.once all this
is in order than ya casn think of a amp ya may want..but first ya MUST
get the coax switched for a single antenna setup first before ANYTHING

if your running a single antenna on a dual antenna setup this is a huge
mistake.go to truckstop/cbshop and get 9ft or 18 ft of rg 8x mini gray stuff
coax.rg58 will probaly be ok.this should help ya out alot.now even if your
antenna is tuned for good swr that doesnt mean its gonna get out the best
different antennas work better some not so good.why theres soooo many choices
the 2 best ones imho are preadtor 10k and wilson 5000 trucker.once all this
is in order than ya casn think of a amp ya may want..but first ya MUST
get the coax switched for a single antenna setup first before ANYTHING

It was a dual antenna. I run a single stand alone system. My own cable, cb and antenna. That way I can pull it out anytime I want. Coaxel is a 18ft btw.
also been testing it distance radio checks.
I get out 25 miles to the right of me and left of me. About 15 in front and about 8 behind me due to trailer height.
I been looking at the wilson and thats gonna be my choice. I shopping for a cheap one now.

It was a dual antenna. I run a single stand alone system. My own cable, cb and antenna. That way I can pull it out anytime I want. Coaxel is a 18ft btw.
also been testing it distance radio checks.
I get out 25 miles to the right of me and left of me. About 15 in front and about 8 behind me due to trailer height.
I been looking at the wilson and thats gonna be my choice. I shopping for a cheap one now.
Changing the antenna will most likely change the radiation pattern from your setup, there may be a difference in range but not change in direction of transmission .

Questions on Semi Antenna setup

I drive a 387 Peterbilt and the stock co-phased antenna system is terrible. I've talked with a few fellow 387 drivers and they've talked a lot about the Outback antenna mount. It attaches to the grab handle behind the sleeper and it curves out around the side of the faring. The 387 is mainly fiberglass so I know I won't get optimal performance from whichever antenna I choose, but I know it will be a much better setup than the stock system that I currently have. So here's what I'm thinking will fit into my budget:

Outback Mount (Approx $55.00)
Wilson 2000 (Approx $60.00)
27 feet of prewired coax (Approx $30.00)

Please feel free to suggest a different antenna (or mount) in this price range. I want to get out better on AM I also want to do some SSB DXing, -my Grant XL has upper channels, so I want an antenna with a broader operating range than the standard 40 channels.

Thanks in advance, Brew

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.