• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Switching Power Supply

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I am looking for a small 20 - 30 amp switching power supply that I can pack right into my carrying bag I transport my portable setup in. I been using an Astron RS20 20 am supply but its big and heavy and my goal is to get everything to fit in this carrying bag.

I was just about to order a Pyramid 30 amp switching supply and figured Ide do a quick Eham review search and was glad I did!! Bad bad bad is all I read from failing power switches to terrible hash in the radios recieve which was and is my number one concern with a switching power supply.

I decided to forget both the Pyramid 20 and 30 amp switching supply idea and it sucks because it would have only costed me $50.00 - $60.00 shipped for purchasing either the 20 or 30 amp Pyramid and the dimensions showed they would have fit perfectly into the carrying bag.

So..... my question is does snyone know of or have an idea of putting one together for this price but as stated above I want clean RF hash free recieve. I know as Ive seen on Ebay their are a few other computer type supplies available but I am affraid without knowing about them Ill get something with the dreaded hash and trash noise floor :thumbdown:

Anyways 20 - 30 amps but preferably something 25 amps or bigger would be great I can check on exact demensions for fitting into bag but not important at this particular time. I just want some options on good noise free units to start out.

Very cool!! Thanks for the info!! I believe Ill be ordering one of these. They say right in the description they are rf filtered and hash free!! They are also small in size. Im wondering if they come with a power cord and if its a special cord?

Very cool!! Thanks for the info!! I believe Ill be ordering one of these. They say right in the description they are rf filtered and hash free!! They are also small in size. Im wondering if they come with a power cord and if its a special cord?

yes they come with a power cord

Reactions: 1 person
Astron makes some nice ones. I use the ss-18 for some of my radios and 0 hash in the recieve. Great supplies in my opinion.

I just ordered thw 41 amp peak supply so we will see how she goes in a few day and Ill post results with the yay or nay thunbs uo or thumbs down folks so keep an eye outout for th review

Power supply made it Saturday, Man was I shocked at its small lightweight size!! People, This damn thing would fit in a coat pocket!! wiring it was easy 3 simple wires white black and green with the directions anyone can set it up.

power cord has an ON/OFF rocker switch. I ran it a bit lastnight and there was no hash or extrs noise in the noise floor which means its filtered very good. I turned the Voltage up which again is simple and labled right in the front of the unit I got out the VOM (Multimeter) and set voltage at 14.2 Volts. It ran the Yaesu FT-840 I hooked it to for a quick test without any issues humming fan slowing ETC. extremely quiet fan aswell.

I give the Mega Watt 41 amp switching power supply an A+ and would recommend it to anyone and at it $65.00 shipped price its a great deal. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.