• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

swr problem 4104 beams

4104 problem solved

I got it!!!!
I switched the shortest details of
elements to the driver and swr went to
1.1 @ 27.605... so I put next longest
set on the driver and swr went to
1.1 @ 26.965.
The element order is now 1 3 2 4 and
spacing is the same...

Thanks guys

I got it!!!!
1.1 @ 26.965.
The element order is now 1 3 2 4 and
spacing is the same...

Thanks guys

Wrong.

The REFLECTOR is the longest element at one end of the beam.

Next to that, the DRIVEN element is the next longest element (this is where the Gamma match/coax is attached to). Because it DRIVES the whole beam.

Next, the 1st DIRECTOR has the 2nd to the shortest length and mounts next to the DRIVEN element.

The 2nd DIRECTOR is the shortest element - and is at the long end of the beam.

Look at the picture I previously posted above.
Notice the larger spacing between the 1st and 2nd DIRECTOR?
That proportion should be consistent with most beams.
They lengths should be in descending order of lengths from the REFLECTOR (longest) on one end, down to the 2nd DIRECTOR (shortest) at the other end.

Because the elements lengths are shorter; the antenna HAS to tune in the ~28.400mhz - or higher - range. The elements MUST be longer to tune on the CB band. No if's, and's, or but's . . .

The "Gamma Match" is how the SWR is adjusted. If the lengths of the elements are SHORT; then they have to tune to a higher frequency. That is just the nature of antennas.
Just because the SWR look acceptable by no means that it will radiate as it should/as designed!
Looks to me that someone modified the lengths for the 10m Ham band - IMO . . .

You stated that:
#1 191"
#2 183" driver. With transmission line on it
#3 179"
#4 171"

But to tune PROPERLY on the CB band, they NEED to be:
#1 - 215.35"
#2 - 203.875" With transmission line on it.
#3 - 202.5"
#4 - 186.75"

If you can lengthen them to these lengths and THEN reset the Gamma match to a decent SWR, then it should be fairly RESONANT on 27.555 and below (the CB band). In truth, to be fully resonant on the CB band - it would need to have the REFLECTOR ~225" and the other elements "scaled" proportionally to that length.

boom 188 1/2"
distance between #1 and #2. 68. 3/4"
between #2 and center of boom 22 1/2"
between #2 and #3 55 1/2"
between #3 and #4 61 3/4"

Compare your spacings to the diagram at the top of this page. Spacings change how the beam will focus and the "gain" it will have. But the LENGTHS of the elements HAVE TO BE CORRECT! The spacing between the REFLECTOR and the DRIVEN elements are critical.

Keep tryin; don't give up!
We are on your side and pulling for you!!!

Last edited:
Wrong.

The REFLECTOR is the longest element at one end of the beam.

Next to that, the DRIVEN element is the next longest element (this is where the Gamma match/coax is attached to). Because it DRIVES the whole beam.

Next, the 1st DIRECTOR has the 2nd to the shortest length and mounts next to the DRIVEN element.

The 2nd DIRECTOR is the shortest element - and is at the long end of the beam.

Look at the picture I previously posted above.
Notice the larger spacing between the 1st and 2nd DIRECTOR?
That should be consistent with ANY beam.
They should be in descending order of lengths from the REFLECTOR (longest) on one end, down to the 2nd DIRECTOR (shortest) at the other end.

Because the elements lengths are shorter; the antenna HAS to tune in the ~28.400mhz range. The elements MUST be longer to tune on the CB band. No if's, and's, or but's . . .

The "Gamma Match" is how the SWR is adjusted. If the lengths of the elements are SHORT; then they have to tune to a higher frequency. That is just the nature of antennas.
Just because the SWR look acceptable by no means that it will radiate as it should/ as designed!
Looks to me that someone modified the lengths for the 10m Ham band - IMO . . .

You stated that:
#1 191"
#2 183" driver. With transmission line on it
#3 179"
#4 171"

But to tune PROPERLY on the CB band, they NEED to be:
#1 - 215.35"
#2 - 203.875" With transmission line on it.
#3 - 202.5"
#4 - 186.75"

If you can lengthen them to these lengths and THEN reset the Gamma match to a decent SWR, then it should be fairly RESONANT on 27.555 and below (the CB band). In truth, to be fully resonant on the CB band - it would need to have the REFLECTOR ~225" and the other elements "scaled" proportionally to that length.

boom 188 1/2"
distance between #1 and #2. 68. 3/4"
between #2 and center of boom 22 1/2"
between #2 and #3 55 1/2"
between #3 and #4 61 3/4"

Compare your spacings to the diagram at the top of this page. Spacings change how the beam will focus and the "gain" it will have. But the LENGTHS of the elements HAVE TO BE CORRECT! The spacing between the REFLECTOR and the DRIVEN elements are critical.

Keep tryin; don't give up!
We are on your side and pulling for you!!!

This antenna has no gamma match.

Shakespeare 4104

I got it!!!!
1.1 @ 26.965.
The element order is now 1 3 2 4 and(y)

Thanks guys

This antenna was designed to cover 23 ch only. The elements are shakespeare 10-3 style fiberglass mobile whips the lengths are correct due to the small dia wire in the whips. If i remember the thing used some type of coax matching section to feed it. After you changed the whips around and got low swr around ch 1 your on the right path . as others have commented you must have the lengths in decreasing order starting with the reflector. If you need to have low swr higher in the band try shortening the driven elements only an inch at a time. Have a couple of old fg whips you may want to replace the driven element whips and try tuning those first, Keep in mind this antenna is only going to cover a limited portion of the band. I played with several of these and they are touchy. They even made a stacked pair.

Good luck RCB
PHP:

This antenna was designed to cover 23 ch only. The elements are shakespeare 10-3 style fiberglass mobile whips the lengths are correct due to the small dia wire in the whips. If i remember the thing used some type of coax matching section to feed it. After you changed the whips around and got low swr around ch 1 your on the right path . as others have commented you must have the lengths in decreasing order starting with the reflector. If you need to have low swr higher in the band try shortening the driven elements only an inch at a time. Have a couple of old fg whips you may want to replace the driven element whips and try tuning those first, Keep in mind this antenna is only going to cover a limited portion of the band. I played with several of these and they are touchy. They even made a stacked pair.

Good luck RCB
PHP:
Jusr re read this antenna has no gamma match . It has a shorted stub coax matching section. Post some pics if you can so others can see how it's constructed.

RCB

Hello,

1/2 inch elements
Desing frequency : 27,5 Mhz.
Gain 8,2 dBi
Front to Back : 21 dB

Using a split radiator. 1 piece of the coax to one end and one piece to the other...
No matching needed in anyway...direct feed..

A 50 ohms impedance with a real wide SWR bandwidth. (26,6 to 28,3 Mhz)
Direct feed, a rf choke is recommended.

This is a so called "owa" design.

Reflector: 5,46 meter
Radiator : 5,3 meter
Director 1 : 5,04 meter
Director 2: 4,8 meter

Distance radiator reflector: 1,33 meter
Distance Director 1 to reflector : 1,835 meter
Distance Director 2 to relfector : 3,82 meter

Drop me a email on 19sd348@planet.nl and i ll forward you the eznec file.

Regards,

Henry

11 meter Dx antenna systemx

I got it...
I switch the shortest set of elements to the
Driver and swr went to 1.1 @ 27.605@
So I put next longest set on driver and
Swr went to 1.1 @ 26.965...
Now element order is 1 3 2 4
thanks guys

4104 got two but can,t seem to be able to point or no difference east west north or south no direction so been looking for shematics or manual any help will be appreciated thx guys

Is the conductor in those elements just a straight wire, or are they wound? By any chance did you get instructions with this thing?
- 'Doc

I think the kit for this old beam was probably designed to be fixed construction. Just follow the color codes, the tag numbers, or whatever, put it together and that's it. Everything goes in the proper place...it's like plug and play. If you don't have the instructions...then you just have to do the old trial and error bit...just like you tell us you've done.

There probably was no effective tuning to be done, because Shakespeare tended toward electrically match all of there antennas...using short stubs or small capacitor type tuning, and I think this old beam was no different. They also used very thin wires, and that too would result in much shorter overall elements...in addition to what the FG random affects were.

These are not facts...just my opinions on what was likely.

still trying

hi nope no manual or schematics bought them as a base kit am told it is complete so been trying to switch around the elemnt but even when i try rotating antenna no variation

hi nope no manual or schematics bought them as a base kit am told it is complete so been trying to switch around the element but even when i try rotating antenna no variation

I tested some 4 element beam settings once, and I found I could set it to show little to no directional qualities (omni directional)...so it seemed. I don't remember what that settings were however. All I was doing was changing the element lengths around some.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.