• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR Readings are bugging me

Oh shit!! You have for to be kidding 338!! F'ing thieves, nothing I hate more. I hope you recover all you lost!! Where were you parked if you don't mind me asking?? Or did they take it from In front of your house?? Again, very sorry to hear this!! Hope it gets resolved and they catch the basrard that did it!!!!

Oh shit!! You have for to be kidding 338!! F'ing thieves, nothing I hate more. I hope you recover all you lost!! Where were you parked if you don't mind me asking?? Or did they take it from In front of your house?? Again, very sorry to hear this!! Hope it gets resolved and they catch the basrard that did it!!!!
It was in Dickinson North Dakota. I pulled up to our welding shop at 2:12pm, and came back out at 2:18pm. Got them on video at 2:14 driving away. Luckily the truck and welding machine are insured, but it will still cost around 15k to replace everything else, and I'm out of work until I do. I hope they play with my Glock 30, and shoot themselves in the head

Holy F MAN!! GD thieves and excuse my language please, but really!! I hope that they catch the SOB's!!
What's good is you caught them on tape and if you have your receipts for the other stolen items, you might be able to claim them as well. It's total BS that people have to be f'ing thieves and do things like this!! God willing, they will be dealt with properly!! I truly hope you recover or at least get back what you lost, especially your welding equipment as this sounds as if it's your livelihood!!! Keep your head high!! Shit happens, and always does when you least expect it to. It's Murhpy's Law!!!
Again, I really hope you get things sorted for the sake of food on the table!! God Bless.

How old was the truck? Over here in Blighty the only way to steal a vehicle now is with the keys. We had a car crime epidemic 30 years ago and the government demanded the manufacturers did something about it so they did. Anything built in the last 10-15 years is now unstealable without the keys unless you tow it so most cars now stolen are only done when the owner has had their house burgled to steal the car keys first.

Hate to ask, but was it running at the time or was it actually parked and stolen? Keys in your pocket or was the truck outside running to keep warm? I know it's cold up there and even shutting the truck off for a few minutes the inside gets right cold quick. Anyway, again, I hope you recover it or recover all your losses ASAP!! Especially your work tools!! F'ing dirtbag thieves man!! Hate them with a passion. Have had it happen to me so I know the feelings you are experiencing!! It will get better! Keep your head up!!

That's a bummer you lost your Dodge. Dam, hope you get it back in one piece.

If you get a new truck and radio setup, you really need not be concerned at all about SWR under 2:1 by the way.

There are those that focus on SWR way too much. I guess just for something to do.

There are those that focus on SWR way too much. I guess just for something to do.

When that is the only thing many people can measure and all they know, well, what do you expect? The fact that antenna manufacturer tuning instructions are all based around getting a low SWR doesn't help either, mind you they wouldn't sell many antennas if they told everyone they all need a several hundred dollar piece of equipment to properly tune their antenna would they. Further, the antenna theory that is required to use such a device and actually get a benefit beyond using an SWR meter is not everyone's cup of tea either.

All we can do is continue to educate those that wish to know, and help those who have problems along the way...

The DB

Reactions: wavrider and BBB
Agreed 100%. There there should definitely be some focus on attaining at least a 2:1 SWR by whatever means necessary for the system. (3:1 max to operate, but at that level I start investigating how to get it lower)

An accurate SWR meter, or better yet if you can find one at a decent price, an antenna analyzer should be in every radio operators tool box. I settled on a used 259B analyzer for just over a hundred bucks. That's another great thing about the hobby... the used market :D

I just bought one of the MFJ-259 analyzers from a local operator. I paid $75.00 for it and now I wonder how did I get along with out it. When I'm changing around the bands I'll hook it up and adjust the manual tuner to get it in perfect tune. Hook the radio back up and the auto tuner takes less than a second.

Last edited:
I just bought one of the MFJ-259 analyzers from a local operator. I paid $75.00 for it and now I wonder how did I get along with out it. When I changing around the bands I'll hook it up and adjust the manual tuner to get it in perfect tune. Hook the radio back up and the auto tuner takes less than a second.

Hook it up through a switch box and it is even faster...

The DB

Reactions: Tallman
I know its been mentioned before, but do not transmit RF into the MFJ 259 or similar analyzers' antenna connector:eek:

From the manual:

WARNING:
Never transmit directly into the MFJ-259, or it may be severely damaged.

WARNING:
Never apply power to the "ANTENNA" connector.

WARNING:
The frequency counter has a CMOS input device that can be easily damaged.
To avoid damage to the counter while using the "FREQUENCY COUNTER
INPUT" jack the user must observe the following precautions:
NEVER
exceed 5 volts peak input.
NEVER
apply an input signal with the power
switch off.

WARNING:
Never apply unfiltered AC or incorrectly polarized DC to this jack. Peak
voltage must never exceed 18 volts.

A PDF of the manual can be found here or on MFJ's site:

https://www.utm.edu/staff/leeb/MFJ-259.pdf

Reactions: Marconi
Very good reminder BBB.

I thought the same thing might be misunderstood on reading some information in this thread.

I think there are other warnings in the manual that talk to exposing the 259b to any stray RF.

Speaking of SWR Readings, I'm about to bite the bullet and order a Rig Expert AA-35 Zoom analyzer.
My wife just got a nice raise so, I think I can swing it now without too much worry.
Btw, found an interesting article on "Why 50 ohms?"
Thought you all might enjoy the reading.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.