• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

swr/watt meters

smp440

Sep 15, 2008
Ok I know I have read all about the other threads about this but I wanted to get your opinions based off my requiements.

I want a new swr/watt meter, I have a pdc now its very old, the one that goes to 1000w big meter with the knobs on side. I think its a 600 but could be wrong. It never seemed that accurate!
So what I want now is something that is at least consistantly accurate, that reads at least 2kw and possible one with several meters like the dosy's or astatic's but not sure if they are very accurate. I have a friend that has the radioshack meter (small) that goes to 2kw but I don't like how little the meter is and its hard to figure your watts on the 2kw scale because of this.

Please let me know your thoughts on brands that are accurate but not expensive. maybe as much as $200.00 or less. Thanks in advance

Couple of thoughts here...
The ParaDynamics/Astatic or the Dosy aren't going to be 100% accurate either - as they are often 10-15% off of the true PEP reading. I just consider tha amount of error and do my own math to give me a close estimate for whatever I am using for at the moment. I'm sure a local shop can calibrate it for you if it is off.

The only acceptable way to get true PEP reading is to use a Bird meter. But I don't need that much accuracy. Nor do I want to spend that much money to do that. Just so long as the meter I am using can be dependable enough to give me a reliable estimate, I can live with the >$80 meter. I can understand why you might want the accuracy, but then again - I can't...

Two cents...

Thanks for the post Robb.
I don't need it more accurate then that but I want consistant numbers. As you stated if its constant then its easy enough to figure the margine of error.
My friend with the radioshack meter seems to think that the dosy/astic stuff is junk so I wanted other input. Like I said the radioshack MAY be more accurate but the meter is to small to read quickly.

There are plenty of good meters above the Bird, but it is a popular device. Worth the investment if you want it.

Others are Alpha (from rfconcepts), the LP-100A, and Palstar as a cheaper option.

I use a Pal star, they are good, have peak reading that is real (powered) and I like cross needle meter`s because you can watch forward and reflected at the same time. I also like the remote sensor model, that allows you to mount the sensor in a convenient place ( great when you are using thick un flexible coax) and have a small flexible cable to the meter unit.

Jeff

Thanks for the post Robb.
I don't need it more accurate then that but I want consistant numbers. As you stated if its constant then its easy enough to figure the margine of error.
My friend with the radioshack meter seems to think that the dosy/astic stuff is junk so I wanted other input. Like I said the radioshack MAY be more accurate but the meter is to small to read quickly.

440, what exactly do you mean when you say "I want consistent numbers." Can you give us a scenario when you see inconsistent numbers? What exactly is going on when that happens?

Hello Jeff.

The only acceptable way to get true PEP reading is to use a Bird meter. But I don't need that much accuracy.

Your basic Bird 43, if properly calibrated within the past six months, has a maximum error of +/- 5% of full scale. Not bad, but not great, either. NOW THEN - add the circuitry for the PEP function, recalibrate the meter to include PEP, and you have an instrument which has a maximum error of +/- 8% of full scale for PEP (still +/- 5% for average readings). There are quite a few wattmeters out there with tighter specifications than that.

Bird meters are more rugged than a lot of other instruments, but they are not that much more accurate, nor precise.

The six-month calibration period I mentioned above was what Bird used to specify.

The only acceptable way to get true PEP reading is to use a Bird meter. But I don't need that much accuracy.

There are several meters out there that will also read PEP with decent accuracy as long as they are a powered TRUE reading PEP meter. The Bird meter by itself will not read PEP unless it has the peak reading kit installed. Meters that claim to read PEP but do not require a source of electrical power other than to light a meter scale do NOT read true PEP. All they do is switch a capacitor into the sampling circuit. My Diamond SX-1000 claims to read PEP but even in the manual it states that the PEP reading is only about 70-80% of true PEP .

The Daiwa CN-801HP is a decent PEP meter that is good to 2 Kw.

For general system monitoring the Dosy cannot be beat for the price. It is mechanically durable, easy to read, ranges fitting most station power levels, and has features that aid not only in antenna health monitoring but it will also help adjust modulation setting over the air, especially if you get the model with audio monitoring jack. There is a reason why you still find vintage Dosy's around for sale, they are high quality lasting beyond their owner's. Did I mention the customer support from Dosy, second to none! Your preference may be different, but if you have around $100 to spend and need a meter that is well made, professional feel and durability, accurate, easy to read, made in the U.S.A. with great customer support, then you won't be dissapointed with a Dosy. It is one of the few companies still around making a full featured meter in this category in the U.S. it proves that although no one talks much about them, there are enough operators who prefer them to keep Dosy producing them. One of the hidden gems in HF. Enough said.

On the base I use a Bird 43P....in the mobile a Comet CMX-1. The Comet only reads average and is dead on accurate to a Drake W-4.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.