• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR...

spider87

Aug 2, 2010
Ok, so I got my meter today finally! I think I figured out why people were saying they needed the 66" whip for the wilson 1000... I still have my cheap Metra antenna for now and I was TRYING to tune it and the lowest I could get it on 20-40 was around 2.3... I physically couldn't lengthen the antenna anymore at that point.. For the safety of the people in cars behind me I had to shorten it a little more and the SWR went up to 2.5... It started off in the red... Progress I guess haha... Just have to find a 66" whip wilson 1000.... Is there something else I can do for the time being or would any alternative require me buying another piece to put in there?

Ok, so I got my meter today finally! I think I figured out why people were saying they needed the 66" whip for the wilson 1000... I still have my cheap Metra antenna for now and I was TRYING to tune it and the lowest I could get it on 20-40 was around 2.3... I physically couldn't lengthen the antenna anymore at that point.. For the safety of the people in cars behind me I had to shorten it a little more and the SWR went up to 2.5... It started off in the red... Progress I guess haha... Just have to find a 66" whip wilson 1000.... Is there something else I can do for the time being or would any alternative require me buying another piece to put in there?

What's your SWR on 1, 20, and 40?

You may have to physically cut the whip portion of the antenna, depending on height.

-Richard-

You could braze an extra length of stainless steel rod onto the end of what you have if have some high silver content jewelers solder or a brass brazing rod. Small torch will be required for the brass rod.

Or do as others suggested and hit a CB shop out by an interstate or somewhere and buy ya the 66 whip or order online.

Good luck

Poo, I wrote that wrong to begin with. 1 was like 3 and 40 was like 1.1 or something. 20 was right around 3 as well. Which, I was reading the tuning instructions that came with the antenna and they said if 40 was lower the antenna needed lengthened. (If it's the other way around then that's how it was... I completely forget the instructions for some reason... all I remember is that it said "Make it longer in this case" and it was that case so I made it longer)

You could braze an extra length of stainless steel rod onto the end of what you have if have some high silver content jewelers solder or a brass brazing rod. Small torch will be required for the brass rod.

Or do as others suggested and hit a CB shop out by an interstate or somewhere and buy ya the 66 whip or order online.

Good luck

Planning that just not yet. I figured if there was a way I could fix it currently without buying anything else I'd do it but I'm not really all that concerned with it for now. I am planning on getting the wilson 1k and the 66inch whip soon and I've been running the radio with the SWR in the 3's before I tuned it and now it's out of that range at least so I think I should be ok for the short time being. As I said before also, I am not all that worried about the radio. If it does die then I will find another but for now there's not much I can do from what I gather.

First of all; do you know to use the meter?
If not sure; then read this: SWR

Ask questions before you cut it!

You have to readjust the 'fwd' or 'forward' to the 'set' mark each time you make a change with the antenna- or even each time you change the channel. Don't cut it unless you are sure that you are reading it correctly first, and that you understand how to use the meter.

Once you cut it; you can't take it back!

We want the SWR as low as we can get it at the frequency length between ch 1 and 40. Best to test and tune it at ch 20; then check it a 1 and 40 - remembering to re-adjust the 'forward' setting each time before you flip the switch to the 'SWR' setting. It's not that hard to do, it will become second nature after a few tries.

Ask whatever you need to ask here first about using the meter correctly. There is a wealth of knowledge and vast experience available here, just use your keyboard!

Thanks Robb. I did not know you had to readjust forward at each adjustment. That is something the little piece of paper that came with it didn't say haha. By the looks of it though, I won't have to cut it. Rather, lengthen it. That is good news anyway as I am still planning on returning this antenna soon and I don't think they'd like it if it were cut...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.