• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

'Take-off angles'

thanks for the link 5 ;)

now.....a few questions . lol

i noticed the graphs showed used 4 different frequencys for the 3 different areas covered ,
3.6MHz for TOA
21.1 and 3.6 MHz for nulls
50.1 for elevation patterns
and 14.05 for other stacking mistakes

im just a CB'er and only talk around 27MHz . i know the different bands/frequencys will transmit differently , although i dont really understand it . but my question is how much of this applies to us chicken banders on 11 meters ?

Antennas are like golf clubs...you need to understand how they work before you can select the right one for the application.

'BOO-T' M.,
I think he used those particular bands to show particular aspects of that TOA because those happen to be the antennas that he had that illustrate what he was trying to get across to people.
I would be very willing to bet that if you asked him, Tom would be tickled to explain any question you might have about TOA, or about antennas in general. Bet'cha!
- 'Doc

thanks 5 . it seems i have to have a ham ticket to join that site to make comments/ask questions and when i click his "Website :"site link i get
"I'm sorry, this Article is unavailable or waiting for administration approval and therefore no comments are allowed."

do you know of another way to reach him ?
if youre a member there could you pm him and ask if he has another way i could contact him with questions ?

maybe hed be interested in joining this forum :) . i bet he could share some really good info in the conversations/threads here ;).

CBers usually need good ground-wave performance (correct polarization), this article doesnt cover that.

take-off angles: high angles for NVIS. There is no NVIS on 11 meters. Low take-off is always important for DX.
nulls: not an issue for 11 meters because the antenna is designed only for 11 meters, and only used on 11 meters. If you try to use a dipole or loop cut for low bands, this would be concern if you try to use it on 11m.
beam stacking: who stacks beams on 27MHz? If you do then nulls along vertical axis would be of concern.

take-off angles: high angles for NVIS. There is no NVIS on 11 meters. Low take-off is always important for DX.
nulls: not an issue for 11 meters because the antenna is designed only for 11 meters, and only used on 11 meters. If you try to use a dipole or loop cut for low bands, this would be concern if you try to use it on 11m.
beam stacking: who stacks beams on 27MHz? If you do then nulls along vertical axis would be of concern.[/QUOTE]

Not entirely true. 11 meters is no different in theory than any other band, All antennas have nulls to some extent, and stacked yagis used to be quite common on 11 meters.

Last edited:
CBers usually need good ground-wave performance (correct polarization), this article doesnt cover that.

beam stacking: who stacks beams on 27MHz? If you do then nulls along vertical axis would be of concern.

Nulls are an issue for any antenna. The nulls in the TOA are a result of both the antenna itself and the height at which it is installed. 11m is no different than 20m or 6m in this regard.

Booty'M,
for about the last week or so, eHam has been having problems with a new software 'up-grade'. There are a lot of people (me included) who can't post, or aren't 'recognized' for some reason. 'They' are working on it.
The only way I've ever contacted Tom, W8JI, is through 'eHam' or some other place he's posted, no idea if/what/where he does email stuff. My 'betting' usually winds up with some kind of problems, so that part doesn't surprise me much, I gotta quit that sort of stuff. Sorry. (And considering how the rest of yesterday went, I'm wishing I'd kept my mouth shut, or never got out of bed. Ever had one'a them days?)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.