• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Talk about replacing your dried out capacitors

It's all good Robb. In the last month, I have done way to many 25s and 29s..... do them in my sleep now I think! But I like to stay busy indoors when I can't work out in my shop in winter..... I have no insulation or heat. Really sucks cuz I have 10K lb hoist that I am soooo freaking spoiled by! Lol

Howdy Thirteen. Well sir I live in the giant metropolis of Marshalltown.... hahahhaha...
Well, outside city limits anyways, in the country. But it is nice to drive 5 miles, 6 minutes, to work everyday!

If it is over 20 years old I just recap them when I am buying used or NOS from someone. If it is my radio and I am first and only owner I will let them go longer than that often since I know their history. Most things trend over time and if you do not have a history with it you really have no idea.

Mike of MikesRadioRepair does the same thing. I have never had a radio where every cap or most of them was bad. My thinking is that if more than one has gone bad then they are all getting close to failure just due to age. Electrolytics are fairly cheap but unless they are built to mil-spec where they are 3X-10X larger than they should be for the rated voltage and capacitance chances are they are getting dry fast! I do not repair radio's for a living so I am not worried about the cost of capacitors I would rather replace them all and know I have another 20-25 years no problem. I hate going back in and doing rework!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.