• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Targetted DXing

KD8KSX

Feb 25, 2010
Hi... Let me preface by saying that all my ham experience thus far has been U/VHF and I don't even currently own an HF rig, but that may change soon.

But, I do have a friend (also a general class ham like me) who is taking a trip of a lifetime with his wife, sailing around the Caribbean. They're currently on the South side of PR. He and I were wondering if it's even possible to make contact in the current conditions (I'm in the DC/Northern VA/Eastern Panhandle of WV area), and if so, which band holds the most promise.

This, of course, would make a wonderful excuse for a purchase...

Thanks!

Bruce

Possible? Certainly.

Which band? Whichever is open to the other station at the particular time of day. This will change, and sometimes very quickly.

It also depends on the antenna you're using and what the other station is using, and on quite a number of other considerations.

Advice? Experiment. Arrange a sked for a specific time and frequency (plus or minus QRM). Remember to allow for time zone differences (or use Zulu time, which you should be using anyway). And arrange to try different frequencies/bands if your first choice doesn't work well.

It's impossible to predict which band will work between Point A and Point B at this stage of the solar cycle. Best thing to do is experiment. That's what ham radio is about in the first place.

Good luck.

Probably 20 or 40m during the day is the best bet. Is he aware of the Maritime Mobile Services Net on 14.300 MHz everyday almost all day long? He can check in there and you guys can make contact and move to another frequency. It makes a good meeting ground for /MM because you may not have a direct path but chances are that someone will hear both of you and be able to relay for you if for nothing more than to know all is well and that you will try again the next day.

Thanks, everyone.

I'll report back if all this ends up happening. He and his wife will be out for another 18 months or so. As I said, trip of a lifetime.

B

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.