• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tarheel screwdriver comparrison to steel whip

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
I bought a screwdriver antenna that I've not installed yet because I've not out the rig in the truck yet. But right now I use 10m off of a 102" whip and it works great. I wonder what the comparrison between the two looks like? Or do I need to run both antennas? Just wonderin if anyone has tried both yet to see if the screwdriver compares. I dont think it would come close myself.

The Tarheel will tune better but the performance will be nearly the same. I didn't run a Tarheel but I used a High Serria Screwdriver, I replaced the whip that it came with for a 72" one. Tuning was better as was the performance on the lower bands.

Reactions: BJ radionut
I would run just the Tarheel.

Having a remote tune-able antenna is far more versatile than the slight edge in performance with a 102 whip on 10m.

I use a 5ft. whip on my Little Tarheel HP and it will tune down to 60 meters.

When stationary, I use a telescoping 17ft whip and have a full 1/4 wave on 20m and much better performance on the lower bands down to 80m.

At 6ft or more on the Tarheel, you'll start to lose 6m and even 10m if you go too long but that's the trade off to get better performance on the lower bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.