• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Technician pool

Test Prep

Hamexam.com offers the program Five X Five, which includes the entire question pool for each of the amateur exams, as well as test material for some commercial licenses. You can practice taking tests drawn from the entire question pool in varying degrees of difficulty.

I tried other test preparation programs, Ham Univesity, and Nu Test, but Five X Five was the best.

it is not a hard test (thankfully)
Although many think it is

i have a friend who failed 3 times
trying to study on his own

then upon hearing he failed a 3rd time
i took him aside....set a apointment for the exam

day of exam...studied with him so he could understand what was needed (45 minutes before exam)at a internet cafe couple of blocks from the exam (so that everything was fresh in his mind)

then he passed fairly easily (even though he still was nervous as heck)

Anyways
these 2 sites always have up to date question pools

www.qrz.com

www.eham.com

I used qrz (just perfered their format)

read the currant book (or even if not most currant book is ok)
for a week or 2...
then keep the book as secondary learning device
(because so many people have huge trouble learning something like this via book alone)

then use qrz and or eham
(you need only take the tech tests)

Oh and since i went though the trouble of helping my friend learn what he needed to know..
and since i made a appointment for him to take the test

i figured i may as well take the test as well

i passed it on my first time (like i said it is not really a hard test)

so in using qrz and or eham to take the currant question pool tests.....once you continually get to point of getting 85 to 90

then you are ready for the test to be taken for real

i think it is importent
that you take the "practice tests" of qrz or eham
an hour or 2 before taking the real test

in this way it will be fresh in your mind
as well as curb any nervousness since you will see you just got 85-90 on "practice tests"

also
even if you start doing real good on practice tests
be sure to take many of the exams because you want to be sure to go though all the questions that are currantly in the pool

both qrz and eham
will explain the right answers for you in a manor to make it stick
they also will let you see what types of questions you are having more difficulty with....so you can better study up on your weaker areas

good luck
any other questions

just ask

Test Prep

I second KingCobra's point that preparing for the test is at least as important as knowing the material. You may know a subject well, and yet still not test well on that subject if you're nervous, if you misread or misunderstand a question, or if some of the questions are ambiguous -- which they are. After reading the ARRL manuals, and understanding them, you should prepare for the test by taking as many practice exams as possible.

That was the method I used, anyway. It took me two months to prepare for my Tech and General Exams, and just that long to master the code at 5 WPM. The last two weeks before the test, I set aside the manuals, and simply concentrated on taking practice exams on the computer, using the Five by Five program. When the day came, feeling I was well prepared, I breezed through the exams, and somehow passed the code test as well. Afterward, I spent three weeks going through the ARRL Extra Class manual, and one week taking practice exams on Five X Five, and achieved the same result as before: I passed the Extra Class exam with little stress and less difficulty.

This was so different than what my father went through when he sat for his General Class license in the '60s. There were no published question pools back then, and although he knew the subject well enough -- he was an electrical engineer who worked on naval communication systems -- he was a nervous sort who did not test well as a rule. The prospect of taking the FCC exam was, for him, a source of terror, and mostly terror of the unknown. Even after taking the test several times, he was so flustered he finally had to ask his doctor for some sedatives before he was able to take the test again and eventually pass it.

www.aa9pw.com/radio/

Here is the most up to date I have found. I studied on Eham and QRZ as well, but found out that on AA9PW's site his question pool to be the most current. MANY of the questions on his site were on the actual test I took last month!! Hope this helps. I studied there only and passed the Tech with no problem.

Also to those getting their ticket for the first time, listen. Listening to others for some time is a big help before you take the plunge for your first on-air contact. It is quite a bit different than CB. I have made some mistakes LOL ! I remember calling on 2 meter SSB and using my CDX # out of habit :shock: On 6 meter I had a power mic hooked up that had a echo slide bar on it that got bumped on. I heard about that one LOL ! But never ran into any ignorant people about the messups. They always acted fine.

Sonwatcher said:
Also to those getting their ticket for the first time, listen. Listening to others for some time is a big help before you take the plunge for your first on-air contact. It is quite a bit different than CB.
Good advice. Also try to find a local club. They will help you and may be able to give you the test. DO NOT think most Hams are like what you see on the internet. I met the local club here when I was parked on top of a hill with a I-Max 2000 leaning against my tow truck during a CDX contest. The hill just happened to have a tower with their repeater on it and some of them met there to do some maintanance. I went over and talked with them, found out when their meetings were and the rest is history. :D

:D i did study for 2 weeks before taking the tech. test with no practice test. since i would have to wit 3 months before he ve team wold have been at tht site again. the general has been taken 2 times the 1rst one expired, with no upgrade. i took the lastone at AES superfest last april. So if the fcc gets the dropped code on the federal registry efore it expires i'll be happy. Back on topic use the practice exams to your advantage, hopefully a lot more people here on the forum get licensed at it will be nice to hear some famillar voices on the air.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.