• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tempo one vs. siltronics 1011D

B

BOOTY MONSTER

i have a chance to get either of these radios almost for free . they are supposed to work , yadda yadda no promises cause theyre so cheap .

assuming ( i know...) they both work is either better than the other ? did/does either have a history of any particular problems ? id use them on 11 meters initally . richmond has many ham meetings so having a way to get a ticket is easy .

the tempo seems to be the same as a yaesu 200 . im guessing thats a good thing ?
if there is a problem is either any cheaper to get worked on ?
where would be good places to get them fixed or tuned if need be ?

thanks

Come young Skywalker and learn the ways of the force......
The Swan Siltronix 1011 Home Page

The Tempo One was built by Yaesu for Henry Radio......
Tempo One Presented by Fox Tango International

I'd take the Tempo One. The Siltronix was a drift box. I have not owned either of these radios and therefore this is just my opinion.

I operated a 1011c back in the seventies as a teenager and yes all reports are true, the siltronix has a major drift issue of sidebands when cold or after warm up.

having owned BOTH of these radios its a hard call to be honest...

the tempo WILL need to be modified for 11M

the siltronix will too but thats just resoldering one wire and retuning one trimmer if you want the "freeband" areas on the 10M part of the switch instead of 10M

the tempo will need a crystal thqt you may or may not be able to get at a reasonable price

the silly WILL drift but is a better talker than the tempo

silly power tube = 8950 = big bucks

tempo power tube = 6146 <if i remember correctly> plentiful and fairly cheap

If Siltronix has 6V power tube..ie 6JS6C/6KD6 it will still not be too hard too keep it on the air
Silly that is dialed in is a top of the line rig for both AM and SSB
Really depends on operator savy
As some would say not yer plug and play rig but myohmy they are nice sounding on ssb with a non amplified D104 and great to listen to as well
Just turn it on a half hour before the ragchew and drift is minimul
Enjoy

im getting the tempo one . it has 80-10 meter coverage and the 1011d is just 10 meters . it also comes with the original power supply . im also getting a president washington cb base (am & ssb) . they were both pluged in and lights up but not put on a antenna . both got from an estate sale , guy had a repair shop (dont know his name) . radios were supposedly fixed but never picked up , yadda yadda yadda ......... . if one of them works i ahead . if theyre both beyond my ability to pay to have fixed....well... $40 aint gonna make or break me . even if i cant talk on the tempo , if it will recieve it would atleast let me hear whats out there i could have a better idea if a ticket is what i want to get a ticket . if it does tx and rx ill definately get it.........because i could use it .

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice on the Tempo.... Have owned both, and they were brand new.... The Siltronix, is a drift box, AM was barely acceptable with the carrier insertion, it could be made to work OK, but even fairly mild audio peaks caused distortion, annoying is to kind.... SSB was a solid very nice toned audio that made for a very nice punchy yet mellow signal... The 8950 final is pretty pricey tube these days... Add all that to the drift and in my opinion, thumbs down...

Tempo one..... This was a very unremarkable radio, it worked OK, really nothing bad to say, or anything good... Had this for a pretty short time.... Boring radio, worked, but thats about it, gave it a second and third chance, all three radios gave same lack-luster results.. Age also seemed particularly hard on the radios AC supply, leaving most in need of a recap..

Just depends on if you'd rather 'warble' a bit, or move up/down the band a bit. :)
If you have a choice, don't get either! They are so cheap for a very good reason...
- 'Doc

I personally owned a Silly 1011d and I really liked it,I will admit that it was a 'hands on' radio,but for the talk power it had to me personally was worth it.That radio taught me how to tune a radio like those,and tuning the Silly is basically like tuning most of the older tube type ham radios.

The one that I had was modded for the freeband,tx 27.365 to 27.900,with a bit of tweaking I could break into the lowest area of 10 meters.

The 8950 tube isnt to hard to come by if you have a good supplier..usually around 50 to 70$....,they also could use the M2075...usually around 100 to 120$ tube,depending on the brand of 2057 you might have to cut a hole in the back of the radio for the cap plug to feed through. But the 2057 tube would add about 50 to 70 watts of output.The one that I had on a good day would hit about 165 watts on ssb when tuned properly..

I never did run mine on AM,that radio was made for SSB use on 10 meters,and would recieve 11 meters from that factory..and the mod for freeband if I remember right was just tapping the exposed coil right behind the tuning knob at the proper point

If you dont mind a bit of drift it is a very nice radio to run,has great recieve and a loud tx ,I really do miss the one that I had

Question....where does the Siltronix club meet at on 10 meters?

Answere... Just stay where you are at...They will drift by shortly

One thing can be said folks about Siltronix/Swan Rigs they were American Built.

Given their overall performance, that was nothing to be proud of. Kind of like the Yugoslavs being proud of the Yugo. Speaking of the Yugo,do you know why they came standard with a rear window defroster? To keep your hands warm while you pushed it. :D

Reactions: Sonar

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.