• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Ranger 696F-SSB

rmstaff

Feb 15, 2007
Florida
Just bought this radio new. Weather channels bleed over on AM-SSB. Is that normal for this radio? Signal strength meter swings backwards when keyed.
Have a President Washington in line and it has 1.3 SWR across the band with my Maco ant.
Never had this problem with the backward swing!
Thoughts??? Thanks!! Certainly not a Tech here!! :roll:

I have a Texas ranger 966 ssb-it sounds like your radio is not tuned properly.Normally you would not get backward swing unless someone had been in the radio "tuning" it and got carried away with the screwdriver!If it is new I would send it back under warranty.Of course,they will not honor the warranty if the seal is not intact.

Thanks Sportygreg.
I bought the radio from Clay's Radio Shop in Texas. They charged $40.00 to "Tune the Radio" I have not been inside it as I only know how to turn it on! :oops:
I called Clay's this AM and they referred me to the Ranger Factory in California as they feel it is a warranty item and they are quite busy and short handed ( Receptionists statement).

So much for service what you sell!

I just shipped it to California for $136.00. It may have been damaged in shipping.

They sent me a 22 point check list referring to what they checked. It was defective out of the box!
I actually bought the radio for the weather alert factor and it does not even work. You can hear the weather on AM and Sideband though! :x

I am sure the factory will respond in a more positive manner than the Seller! If a seal was broken it was the Seller that broke it!

Thanks for the response!

Bob

rmstaff said:
Thanks Sportygreg.
I bought the radio from Clay's Radio Shop in Texas. They charged $40.00 to "Tune the Radio" I have not been inside it as I only know how to turn it on! :oops:
I called Clay's this AM and they referred me to the Ranger Factory in California as they feel it is a warranty item and they are quite busy and short handed ( Receptionists statement).

I just shipped it to California for $136.00. It may have been damaged in shipping.

They sent me a 22 point check list referring to what they checked. It was defective out of the box!
I actually bought the radio for the weather alert factor and it does not even work. You can hear the weather on AM and Sideband though! :x

I am sure the factory will respond in a more positive manner than the Seller! If a seal was broken it was the Seller that broke it!

Thanks for the response!

Bob

$136 for shipping???

Good lord, why would you spend 136 dollars to ship a 200 dollar radio? I would send it back to Clays because they are supposed to stand behind their work. If it is defective they should give you a new radio and they can send it back. Wow, what a ripoff.

Obviously Clays did not do much of a bench test on that one. They should have been able to spot that defect I would think.

Lady at Clay's asked I send it to Calif. as they were short handed and their tech felt it was a Warranty problem. 2day air was the quickest way to end the charade!
I asked to speak with a tech and she said they did not have phones in the shop as they would get no work done!
:roll:
You are right about just sending it back to them. I figured Ranger would probably respond in a more professional manner and I am sure the next gear will not be purchased through them!

Probably a smart move Marty. I would have bought locally but there are no shops available in my locale. I am beginning to dislike this on line buying as you are at the mercy of the seller and what just happened here is a real possibility. No recourse on the seller.
If the weather channels and alert worked it would be an excellent addition as I am on the West Fl. Coast about a half mile from the Gulf and the weather alert would have been great during the hurricane season. Easier to just buy a weather alert radio! :LOL: Live and learn! ;)

I have my old President Washington and D-104 as a back up till Ranger sends it back!

rmstaff said:
Thanks Sportygreg.

Thanks for the response!

Bob

Don't be a fool!! If the radio is brand new why should you have to send it to ranger to get repaired?? You paid for a brand new radio not a refurbished radio. I wouldn't take that. If you paid by credit card you can contact your credit card company if they will not take back the radio. The credit card company will get you your money back in full......

rmstaff said:
Thanks Sportygreg.

Thanks for the response!

Bob

Don't be a fool!! If the radio is brand new why should you have to send it to ranger to get repaired?? You paid for a brand new radio not a refurbished radio. I wouldn't take that. If you paid by credit card you can contact your credit card company if they will not take back the radio. The credit card company will get you your money back in full......

I bought a Silver Salute Mic and a couple of other items also!
Not a money thing. Just the principle!
Not worth hasseling over!
Appreciate the advise and thoughts though! I did remove myself from the forum that he advertises on and let them know why!
Incidentally have been reading this forum the past day or so and I am getting real edumacated! :LOL: Lots of good information and great folks!

Am going to buy another radio and just ordered a 60 foot Rohn tower and am going to get a little more serious about this hobby I left years ago!
Thanks for the response folks.
Think I will just get rid of the old President Washington and the Dwight D and D-104's and upgrade in style! ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.