• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Ranger 696F-SSB

I hope you explained to the factory that Clay's "tuned" the radio.The foil seal must have been broken for them to get inside it and that voids the warranty!If you bought it new from Clay's with a tuning job they should back up their work!According to the Screwdriver expert's guide by Lou Franklin,the only causes for backward modulation are insufficient voltage and mistuning of the radio.Most new radios don't need tuning-it is a gimmick by some shops to line their pockets!Clay's ripped you off twice-once for tuning and again for refusing to fix it!By the way,if you talk on 38lsb I am KGG179 in Dunedin Fl-not far from you.

Good Morning SportyGreg! Yes I sent the entire set of paperwork along with the receipts for the Radio Mic and tuning job!
His representative (Clay's) told me they did not alter the radio
in a manner to void the warranty. I in turn asked what I paid $40.00 for! Their document said tune radio?? I took one screw out of the case to install a ground wire. Other than that Clay's Radio Shop was in the radio.
When I took it to the Mail Store for packing and shipping the fella turned the radio over and something inside was rattling!
That makes me wonder about damage when it was shipped from Clay's. It will be delivered to Ranger this afternoon.
Perhaps they will just send a new radio.
If the warranty was voided by Clay's tuneup it will become Clay's problem real quick.

I logged KGG179 ~ LSB into my book. Will try and make contact when the GOOD? radio is returned.
Thanks for the response

The Texas radios are well built-the mobiles are designed to resist vibrations and even voltage fluctuations.I peeked in my radio[yes,I broke the seal,but it was used anyway] and the finals are mounted with some kind of foam material.For something to be rattling inside, the radio must have taken quite a hit or else part of the "tuning" was clipping a mod limiter and they left it inside the radio!I occasionally do simple repairs to radios and have seen some that were really butchered-usually by some screwdriver jockey who claims to be a technician!There is no excuse for a new radio to be screwed up-I would be harassing the people at Clay's radio shop until they got a restraining order! :LOL:

i wouldnt get rid of those old radios those are some good taljkers.shame shame on clays not standing behind thier work
doesnt speak very well for them.i would definately make a post in thier testimonals sections with your terrivble experience.
if theres sereve weather in your area then it WILL come over am/ssb.if not then itvshouldnt.does it do it all the time?
how many weather bands is there is it 3?

Hot Rod, There are 7 weather channels. They were just basically bleeding all the time. Scratchy irritation in the background always present. Clays receptionist said they should have placed a filter in it but didn't! With the radio off the weather alert is supposed to sound a warning which it did not. They have a local test on Tuesdays here and I was waiting to see if it worked! No such luck.
My problem with Clay's was the refusal to accept the radio and the fact I was given a song and dance regarding their tech's. I just cancelled my membership on the site he advertises on which does not hurt anyone but I don't have to look at the advertisement all the time! Lots of good folks over there on that forum. Don't want my problem to affect anyone else so I am not really huffing and puffing!
Ranger will give me a verdict early next week and that will decide my next course of action. I have not ruled out the possibility the radio could have been damaged in shipment. Clay's responsibility should have been to accept the radio and diagnose the problem from that point not pass the buck as they did! I might add it was the receptionist that ran me around the block with the BS!

Sportygreg I have no idea what the tuning consisted of and even if it took place! The lady told me they did nothing to void the warranty? Coming week will tell the whole story from Ranger! If the so called tune up voided the warranty then my bank indicates they will see my money refunded!
This is worse than "Days of Our LIves!" :LOL:

sorry for your bad experience with Clay's.

If it was me, I would keep the washington and the d104. That is a great setup and even old, is a helluva am/ssb radio. I should have never got rid of mine. If ya want wx channels, I would just buy a scanner and keep the washington and d104 and then you will have a setup.

I know, its just my 2 cents.

Probably keep the Washington. It's an oldie but a goodie. Had the added freq's installed years ago and it kept on ticking when many others failed. Upgrade speaker is a necessity though! I need to find a shop and have it tuned up and checked out. I agree on the scanner for the weather! Looking at A Bearcat multi-task scanner seems pretty neat!

sportygreg said:
The Texas radios are well built-the mobiles are designed to resist vibrations and even voltage fluctuations.I peeked in my radio[yes,I broke the seal,but it was used anyway] and the finals are mounted with some kind of foam material.For something to be rattling inside, the radio must have taken quite a hit or else part of the "tuning" was clipping a mod limiter and they left it inside the radio!I occasionally do simple repairs to radios and have seen some that were really butchered-usually by some screwdriver jockey who claims to be a technician!There is no excuse for a new radio to be screwed up-I would be harassing the people at Clay's radio shop until they got a restraining order! :LOL:
lol i agree.but id show up at thier front door with radoio and tell them now fix it or give me a full refund

rmstaff said:
2day air was the quickest way to end the charade!

I would have sent it Priority USPS. I would have cost WAY less and only taken one more day.

As for Clay's, you are not the only one that has had problems in recent years. I've seen an increasing number of issues with their work over the past 2 or 3 years. I am surprised, though, that they brushed you off like they did.

Hello RfStaff, Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Clay's, hope all turns out well!! I'm sure posts like these have the deserved impact on thier buisness :oops: Not sure where your at in Florida but if near Daytona give us a shout on 32 am!! Peace Hooty

Hey HootyAl! Other side of the State on the Gulf. Spring Hill, North of Tampa! Still awaiting Rangers Response!
I sent mail with the radio and if the tuning voids the warranty I told them to ship it back to Clay's!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.