• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas star 800V

shortchange

Jan 14, 2006
New be with a Q? Can or has anyone ever use a Texas star amp with an HF rig. People have said that its not a good idea because stray RF might leak back into the radio and burn/damage the front end. I know that the amp is not FCC accepted but it would be nice if I can use it for now

Just use the thing it does not matter what amplifier you have if its misstuned or the SWR is high there will be problems as an end result. Ide suggest a tuner that will handle what this amplifier puts out PEP. Im not familiar with an 800

Any of the typical CB amplifiers will have a problem when used on the HF bands especially the lower bands. Most of the time the amps will not function below 20m due to the input/output transformers being built for 25-30 MHz. Also most CB type amps exhibit MUCH higher gain on the lower bands like 40 and 80m if, IF the function down that low at all which makes driving them a bit difficult. I won't even get into the biasing and class of operation or what happens to that operating class when the amp heats up. :whistle:

Captain I knew someone would chime in with this I just want to clarify that I also understand what you were saying to him about the efficiancy of running some of these amplifiers on the other HF bands but I know that I have got onto this topic on 80 meters and I had said to run it because if hes mobile and moving the havoc that maybe transmited out with the intendedd signal a little more forgiving from a mobile than from a guy on a base station running that same amplifier without the filtering ETC ;)

Captain I knew someone would chime in with this I just want to clarify that I also understand what you were saying to him about the efficiancy of running some of these amplifiers on the other HF bands but I know that I have got onto this topic on 80 meters and I had said to run it because if hes mobile and moving the havoc that maybe transmited out with the intendedd signal a little more forgiving from a mobile than from a guy on a base station running that same amplifier without the filtering ETC ;)

I just wanted him to be aware that they are built to operate around 25-30 MHz and do not function well on all HF bands. The gain of the transistors is much higher on the lower frequencies. Typical wide band 3-30 MHz amps have a gain flattening circuit on the input tat reduces the drive in an inversion relation to the transistors gain thus evening things out a bit. That coupled with the fact different ferrite is used in the I/O transformers makes quite a difference. just a heads up to anyone trying to drive one of these amps on 80m. :unsure:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.