• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TEXAS STAR DX1200 TWELVE GUAGE enlightenment needed

Crambone

Jan 22, 2019
IMG_0877.jpeg
IMG_0878.jpeg
IMG_0879.jpeg
IMG_0878.jpeg
IMG_0879.jpeg
I acquired this not working and after finding a few bad solder connections on 3 of the 4 2200 electrolytic caps and a good cleaning of tons of flux I fired it up and it’s working. I see a few different models of the DX1200 one being a “HOT PLATE”? IS THIS A CW Model?
I see a small jack on the rear of the unit not connected to anything?
What Bands / Frequencies is this good for?
What input power is acceptable and what output should I see?

Drew

The keying jack on the back just means it’s an older model. Back then Texas Star sold amplifiers as CW transmitters (wink wink). From the factory they did not function as an amplifier. There was a small board attached to that jack and it was a simple conversion process that shops would charge ten bucks to do. After the conversion you had an amplifier and the jack did nothing.

I’m trying to remember, the 1600 is advertised as 100watts in gives you 1200 out. I think the 1200 was like 80-100 peak watts in gives you 1000 out. Maybe try 40-60 peak in and see what it does then go from there.

Assuming you can maintain a steady voltage and you have enough amps to feed it you should get a solid 1000 out of it. You can adjust peak output by backing down the drive level. This way you can coast along at 400-500 watts.

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
The keying jack on the back just means it’s an older model. Back then Texas Star sold amplifiers as CW transmitters (wink wink). From the factory they did not function as an amplifier. There was a small board attached to that jack and it was a simple conversion process that shops would charge ten bucks to do. After the conversion you had an amplifier and the jack did nothing.

I’m trying to remember, the 1600 is advertised as 100watts in gives you 1200 out. I think the 1200 was like 80-100 peak watts in gives you 1000 out. Maybe try 40-60 peak in and see what it does then go from there.

Assuming you can maintain a steady voltage and you have enough amps to feed it you should get a solid 1000 out of it. You can adjust peak output by backing down the drive level. This way you can coast along at 400-500 watts.
Thanks I figured as much! I will try tomorrow.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.